Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About The Genuine Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AlexCYS

AlexCYS

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:12 AM

I thought myself running with a genuine windows operating system last time.. I ever confronted with this problem and i called the technician to solve this problem for me.. which is reformat my comp.. but that day i was not at home.. so i don't know whether he installed the genuine pack for me or not? But until today. I'm quitre comfirm that it is not genuine after i run an automatic update of windows.. i received a notification that shows i'm a victim of xxx... sad... I heard from my friend that if this happened then my comp might cannot on anymore.. So i just wanna know are there any solutions other than restore the genuine operating system? Pls help.. Thanks...

Edited by AlexCYS, 04 May 2006 - 03:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

All Windows operating systems are "genuine". What makes you think it is otherwise ? Did you not get an XP insttall disc with your computer ?

#3 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

A lot of people have had problems with SP2. I installed it ages ago and had so many problems, I got rid of it, very quickly.

Everything was fine once I deleted it, and I shan't bother again.
Lorraine
Life is like an onion......it has many layers.........and they all STINK.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

A lot of people have had problems with SP2. I installed it ages ago and had so many problems, I got rid of it, very quickly.

Everything was fine once I deleted it, and I shan't bother again.

All I can say is this is not a good idea. See this thread for more information on why not to uninstall SP2.

Be (continued MS Support) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

If you can prove you bought a valid copy of WinXP (IE: recipts and all the WinXP stickers that came with the computer or the OS). M$ will validate your copy I believe.

BTW: have SP2 and dont care for it. (Oh wait thats Windoze in general)

Posted Image

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

If you have the Windows XP sticker with your product key on it you may be able to call microsoft and have them validate it.

All valid installations on Microsoft Windows XP should have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label that accompanies it. You are basically licensing your computer to run that copy of XP. All name brand computers will have a COA sticker affixed visibly to the case of the computer. Without out that "licence", you are violating international - federal copyright laws.

SP2 is an important part of XP. As Animal points out, many issues are dealt with with the SP2 patch. I agree that you should not install SP2 until you are completely clean of malware, but after that, it is a necessary update.

I'm quitre comfirm that it is not genuine after i run an automatic update of windows.

If you have verified that your copy of XP is not valid, I would hold the last person that loaded your operating system responsible.

I think your solution is to go to a reputable/trustworthy dealer and buy a valid copy of Windows XP and have it installed.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

By not downloading SP2 or removing it once it is installed you are like a reckless driver speeding through heavy traffic on icy roads with bald tires – dangerous to everyone else on the internet, especially anyone who ever gets email from you!

SP2 is primarily a security upgrade, designed to tighten the security on your computer so the miserable, criminal miscreants writing malicious code will have a tougher time turning your computer into a zombie or stealing information from it. (Like your ID, banking records, or other confidential information).

It is really amazing to me that there really are people who display such dismal computer ignorance and actually believe that they know more about XP’s vulnerabilities than the engineers and programmers who designed and wrote the XP operating system, and ignore the operating system designers’ requirements that known exploits in their systems must be patched in order to prevent malicious code from being able to utilize known exploits existing in their software, (or poorly written third party code from accidentally disabling it) yet they are the first to spout off blaming Microsoft when their systems become infected and/or disabled!

These collections of patches and code rewritten to better provide XP with the ability to close known exploits and better protect the operating system from malicious code known as Critical Updates or major collections of Critical Updates known as Service Pacs are labeled CRITICAL to have installed by those who know more about XP’s vulnerabilities than anyone else, yet there are some who insist on proving their blatant ignorance and contempt for other users by intentionally leaving their systems unpatched and vulnerable to exploit. Amazing!

SP2 IS A CRITICAL UPDATE!
Microsoft assigns the terminology "critical" to security bulletins, updates and Service Pacs when it believes exploits of known vulnerabilities are able to be used to create a worm able to spread without any user interaction.

The problems resulting from SP2 installations are due to either non-compliant, poorly written third party code, most of which has now been updated by the various hardware and software providers whose programs caused the malfunctions errantly attributed to Microsoft for the most part, or malware residing on your computer when SP2 was installed.

Microsoft knowledgebase:

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

If you update programs/drivers which have known issues before you download SP2, and make sure your computer is not infected by malware, you are not likely to experience problems, but by not downloading SP2 (and therefore eliminating your participation in all other subsequent Microsoft Critical Updates), essentially opting out of even being able to get future Microsoft updates and patches, that makes you recklessly complicit in the spread of viruses and malware across the internet.

You should warn everyone in your address book of your inconsideration for their computers. I certainly wouldn’t want my address in it!

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 May 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#8 AlexCYS

AlexCYS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

Thank you for helping... Because my comp was bought by my relative's friend. So i don't really know about it.. But i think most probably he installed the windows xp sp2 for me using pirated version.. So i'm so unlucky lo... And hope u all be alerted while purchasing comp..

#9 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

Animal, thanks for that. I've read your link.

Enthusiast, I think your comments were a little harsh and I take exception to them. However, I do understand where you are coming from and I have read and noted everything you said.

Some of us are 'illiterate' when it comes to the finer points of computers, it's not that we think we know more than the experts. It's why we come to places like this....to learn and get help. I am one of those unfortunates and would never deliberately put mine or anybody else's computer at risk.

"""""It is really amazing to me that there really are people who display such dismal computer ignorance""""" Did you know it all when you first started?

I shall go and install it and fingers crossed I have no problems, because I will not know what to do if it happens.
Lorraine

#10 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Not sure I want in this, but here goes. Why not set your computer to autoupdate and not worry about it? Microsoft has stated publically that updates will be performed. and it is a nonissue unless you knowlingly pirated the copy.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#11 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:05 AM

Thanks, Gunner. Don't worry, I'm sure it won't deteriorate into an argument, lol. We've said our pieces and I've taken everything on board.

I have got mine set to update and I also manually updated all my virus definitions 2 days ago, so fingers crossed.
Lorraine

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

If you are having problems with SP2 it may be because of malware on your computer. If your computer is not completely clean there can be problems with the installation of SP2.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Mmmm, that may have been the problem, Albert. When I first installed it, I knew about virus's but not malware or spy stuff. Now I do, I regularly put my finder on and get shot of any that are there.
Lorraine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users