Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP machine windows 7 won't boot and can't recover

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BoiseSkip76

BoiseSkip76

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

About one week ago, I was listening to music on iTunes while helping my daughter get ready for her nap.  Without warning, the computer rebooted and the boot options window popped up with a "repair" option.  I chose that option.  The "Starting Windows" screen came up and remained for about 5 hours, before I decided nothing was actually happening.  I held down the power button and it shut down.  I turned the computer back on and got an error message:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem: 1.  Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.2.  Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."3.  Click "Repair your computer." If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I have tried to boot the system recovery option on the recovery partition using F11.  The computer shows "loading windows files" then proceeds to a "starting windows" screen where it remains indefinitely (I've allowed it to go 12 hours on this screen).  I made a windows recovery disc from a friend's win 7 machine, which has the same result as the f11.  I do not have an installation disc, because HP doesn't include them. Any thoughts?

I ran the diagnostics and everything tested ok, so I don't think it is a hardware problem, even though it kids of seems that way.  I've also used my Hiren's bootCD to boot into its Mini Win XP, and I can access all portions of my hard drive that way, also suggesting that the HDD itself is okay.  Perhaps this is a boot record problem or something. I'd like to run fixmbr and fixboot, but I haven't figured out a way to get to a c prompt. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

When you start your PC repeatedly hit F10 this should get you to the boot menu screen. Use the down button to select boot from CD. the hit esc and save changes and restart. It should read the boot disk in the CD ROM.

PS It is F10 on most computers.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 02 December 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#3 BoiseSkip76

BoiseSkip76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

When you start your PC repeatedly hit F10 this should get you to the boot menu screen. Use the down button to select boot from CD. the hit esc and save changes and restart. It should read the boot disk in the CD ROM.

PS It is F10 on most computers.

This isn't the problem. I can boot from a CD, but if I boot my recovery disc it just sits forever on the starting windows screen.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Try using your friends computer and going to the manufacturer of your computer's website and burning a boot disk specifically for your model. It could be that the one you used was proprietary and that's why it didn't work. I'm committed now to helping you with this one. I'm sure we'll get it running for you.

#5 BoiseSkip76

BoiseSkip76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm glad you're committed to the cause! I am too. :-)

HP is not very helpful. They refer me back to the recovery partition on my hard drive. I've booted from that drive a few ways and I get the same problem with it just sitting at the "starting windows" screen. They will sell me a disc, but they say it is the same as what is on the hard drive recovery partition.

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

If you can get into safe mode with propmting type D:/ . D is the recovery drive for HP on most machines. What's the model and how old is it?

#7 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

Get out your HD and take it to your friend, save all your important data and install fresh windows on that HD. It's easy and you can do all in 3-4 hours.

If you are unable to boot up your PC, and if it's asking for boot CD, it can be painful to get Windows back to normal.

#8 BoiseSkip76

BoiseSkip76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

If you can get into safe mode with propmting type D:/ . D is the recovery drive for HP on most machines. What's the model and how old is it?

I can't get into safe mode with prompting (or *any* mode, for that matter).  It's an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410t, about 3 years old.

Some new data:

I ran a SMART short self-test.  It quit almost immediately and said it failed and gave an error code of 7 (unknown error).  So I ran a SMART extended self-test.  It stopped after 2.5 hours, reported it could not continue because of too many bad sectors.  Seems to suggest the drive is bad.

I also ran TestDisk on deep scan and I found an "extra" partition (one that had never been there before), which overlaps with my OS and HP-Recovery partitions.  Is it possible that this overlapping partition could be causing all of this?

Get out your HD and take it to your friend, save all your important data and install fresh windows on that HD. It's easy and you can do all in 3-4 hours.

Any advice on how to install fresh windows, given that I have no windows discs, since HP doesn't send them?  This seems like the next thing to try and to be honest I was considering wiping the drive before this happened, just because I had a lot of garbage on it. ..

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

<<I made a windows recovery disc from a friend's win 7 machine...>>

Bad idea, unless your friend has exactly the same system as you.  I would not expect a recovery disk from a different OEM (HP, Lenoveo, etc.) system...to work on a different system by that OEM.  The drivers, settings, etc. could be different...resulting in a useless effort, IMO.  If there was a generic recovery disk for all HP systems...I think we would have heard of such before now.

Louis

#10 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

You can download fresh windows 7 from torrent sites. Simply burn ISO and start new instalation (inside your computer ofcourse). 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

You can download fresh windows 7 from torrent sites. Simply burn ISO and start new instalation (inside your computer ofcourse). 

Downloading torrents is not necessarily safe nor legal, since gathering torrents from unknown users exposes the recipient to increased threat of malware, IMO.  Torrents may include unwanted packages that the user did not bargain for.

Louis

#12 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

can you boot into your advanced boot options? choose repair your computer and get to recovery options? i would say run your cmd prompt from their and then your bootrec.exe options. if you cant get to a cmd prompt that way. you would need a retail disc or installation disc to get to a command prompt. there are windows 7 iso's from digital river that can be downloaded then burned to a disc to use, i used it myself with no problems, but as louis said, there is always chance of malware when an iso is going through other peoples hands. my personal opinion is dont jump to a clean install or restore right away, problem might be fixable. just got to get a windows 7 disc first.

best of luck, keep us updated

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users