Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x0000009C error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hi,

I've been having intermittent 0x9c errors on my computer that started in the last 3-4 weeks.  It had been running fine for a year before that with no issues.  Any thoughts?  CPU/GPU temps seem to be OK...29-38C normally.  I'm wondering if it's related to an NVidia graphics driver update...there were two recent ones via Windows Update.  I almost never update drivers, but decided to do it this time.

Any suggestions?

-etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi -

Do you ever get => MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION with the 0x0000009C error

This is usually a hardware issue, but 9C the parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware - CPU, RAM, power supply, etc. Pushing hardware beyond its capabilities such as overclocking can cause that error too.

AVG is often blamed, but you list avast! as your Antivirus ........

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here

Thank You -

#3 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes, it does list MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION on the BSOD.

Here's the Speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/46H7YmNTdfUpIRabWyYYROJ

I need to update my profile, I've been using MSE.  Avast got too needy with too many popups that didn't add value.

-etavares

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hello, You have a GeForce 560 GTX video processor.

My suggestion is to go to this link and click the green download button and download the driver package.

Edited: that link below is the 64 Bit driver, I do believe your system is 64 Bit based on what I see in your Speccy report.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/70184/en-us

Once you have the package on your computer, instead of choosing the default installation option, choose the manual option and have the installation clean your computer of previous driver installations before you have it install the new driver. This way, you do not have multiple installations of the video driver in your system's driver directory. 

After it is finished, restart your computer and hopefully this will stop the problem from happening. If it continues, I'd double check your system for dust issues. Your graphics processor could be over heating.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 December 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi,

I updated the driver with the clean installation.  Will see how it goes.  I've had AIDA64 Extreme running on my second monitor for the past couple of days and temps seem to be stable.  I did clean my computer recently, but I'll check it again if it pops up.

Will post back here in a few days if it's been stable.

-etavares

Posted Image

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

No Problem, I think you'll find that you'll have more system stability using the driver from Nvidia rather than the ones that Windows update offers.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why Microsoft recommends certified drivers, yet, the ones they do offer do not always play well with other certified drivers or the hardware they were intended to work well with. :scratchhead:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users