Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allowing Video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Birdieguy

Birdieguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

I used to be able to view video clips and things like that on a ton of jokes/funny videos sites (such as stupidvideos.com, dumpalink.com, etc...) before my settings were all reset recently. What is/are the specific security setting(s) that I should change back so that the videos play, instead of only showing me the dreaded little white "x" ??

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

What browser do you use?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

If you're using IE:

Open Internet Explorer.
At the top click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Scroll down to Multimedia.
Put a check next to, Play videos in web pages.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Birdieguy

Birdieguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

Yes, I use IE6, and I've already checked that option. My thinking is that it's one of those settings in Internet Options\Security\Custom Level that blocks particular ActiveX controls, but that's just an educated guess. I'm just not sure which one.

#5 Birdieguy

Birdieguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Anyone??

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

Probably the easiest thing to do is reset to default settings.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

I just checked Stupid videos with my Firefox browser and had no trouble viewing the videos. So it is not your ActiveX settings as Firefox doesn't allow Active X.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

Could it be an over pompous anti-virus internet security product or a change in firewalls?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

Have you tried deleting your cookies, temporary files, and history?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users