Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD before and after reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 briangle

briangle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I started getting BSODs randomly and when i did a full virus scan with malwarebytes and it got to 80% about 2 weeks ago.  it also deleted 2 wordpad files i had open by replacing all text with spaces.  and once it deleted things i had saved to a wordpad file, but not the whole thing.

yesterday it was ok - first day of reinstall

i installed a few things on it and now it crashed when transferring some files back from my external.

the virus, if that's what it is, isn't on my external or pc - or if it is it is behaving differently.

i'm guessign i need to post some minidump stuff? i have some old ones on box.com that i saved from before reinstallation.

i'm a novice with this stuff and a desperate man near the end of his rope.

help very appreciated.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi, How about if You post a speccy log and run a memory test. Bad memory can cause problems too.

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
You will see the following prompt:
publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :)

If You post a log rather than a link edit out the Windows product key. Publishing the link as shown above avoids that problem.

Next Post

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Continued, Please run a memory test as follows

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

p4393897.gif

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

p4393911.gif

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

main_menu.jpg

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

testarea_cu.jpg

The following image is the test results area:

p4393925.gif

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

To be continued

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Next lets make sure the hard drive is OK. This one should run on most drives

Seatools for Windows

SeaTools for Windows

SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

If it finds any errors please backup all data before doing any repairs as the repair may cause data loss.

If You have a Western Digital try using their DataLifeGuard software instead.

This is a Windows version of the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. It will test WD internal and external drives. In additional, it can provide you with the model and serial of WD drives attached to the system.

167 @ June 2015

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Lets make sure the hardware is good.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 briangle

briangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

thank you for the posts!

sorry i took so long to respond.

i think i figured out what the problem was.

i uninstalled Evernote and it hasn't crashed since.

so for future searches Evernote on Windows 8 is no good.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

HI, Just from curiosity, was it a windows 8 compatible version that was causing the problem?

Thank You for reporting back with the Solution. That may help others in the future.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 briangle

briangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

HI, Just from curiosity, was it a windows 8 compatible version that was causing the problem?

Thank You for reporting back with the Solution. That may help others in the future.

it was whatever the website installed by default - it didn't give me an option. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users