Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is ComboFix and can it do any harm to my computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

A while back, I had to take my computer to my univeristy's ResNet to get it fixed because I couldn't gain access to it because I thought someone hacked into it and changed my password (I was wrong). When I got my computer back, it had a bunch of different anti-virus softwares on it, one of which was ComboFix. I am unsure about this program. What exactly does it do, and does it pose any danger to my computer? I'm worried that when I connect to my external hard drives, all my data will be lost on them. Is this possible?

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

ComboFix is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. As such, no one should be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

:Uninstall ComboFix:

• turn off all active protection software
  • push the "windows key" + "R" (between the "Ctrl" button and "Alt" Button)
  • please copy and past the following into the box ComboFix /Uninstall and click OK.
  • Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.
  • CF-Uninstall.png

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi -

To check that you were able to remove "stray Antivirus programs" please follow below

Download Screen317 Security Check and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please post the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries.

ComboFix is safe to use by someone trained in how to use it or when following instructions provided by a trained helper. Your university's ResNet should have uninstalled the tool prior to giving your computer back.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries.

ComboFix is safe to use by someone trained in how to use it or when following instructions provided by a trained helper. Your university's ResNet should have uninstalled the tool prior to giving your computer back.

They didn't. Is it dangerous to my computer to leave in on? I have no intention to open the application because I know amatuers shouldn't use it.. Also, is it possible for ComboFix to corrupt any of the files on my external hard drives/flash drives when I connect to them?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi, No it will not do anything unless it is run.

But to prevent that Uninstall it as posted in post 2.
Even if it is ever needed to be run again it will need to be reinstalled anyway.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Since someone from the University ran ComboFix, there is no way to determine what it detected/removed or if they ran any special scripts afterwards unless the log(s) are posted for analysis. A log should have been created and saved to the root directory, usually C:\ComboFix.txt. However, ComboFix logs are not permitted in this forum.

If you want to someone to check that log...hold off on uninstalling ComboFix and follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6.
When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users