Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dynamer DTC problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think I have problems with Dynamer DTC.

I suspect it started when I tried to download iTunes. I thought I was at the Apple site but apparently was not. I immediately started getting annoying audio ads while connected to the web with Firefox and my system became very slow.

Ad-Aware found a bunch of stuff that was removed. That fixed the audio ads but not the slowness.

MS Security essentials has found "Dynamer!DTC" and cleaned it twice. Mal-Aware Bytes has found it once. It seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I have noticed several other things.

MS Security essentials seems to be even slower than normal. When I last stopped it, I had to shut down to take the laptop to work, it had been running almost 35 hours and the task bar showed only about 5% complete.

Mal-Aware bytes was faster but is finding no problems now.

I tried to do a system restore to a date before the trouble started. It got stuck on the "initializing" page for most of a day before I had to shut down.

I have tried to restore once since. I was not able to because it wanted to check my disk "integrity", a time consuming procedure. I did let it complete the utility the first time and no problems were found. Apparently, the flag did not get reset.

The reason integrity needed to be checked to begin with was that a few weeks ago, I such down in the middle of a boot when I got a page to come to the hospital. I am a chaplain.

Any advice and help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

John A. Lee

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2013 - 06:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

A bit more info:

I am worried about doing my Christmas shopping online because of the possibility of transmitting my account info.

I am a hospital chaplain. The affected laptop is my personal one. I take it to the hospitals I serve (6 of them) when I go. That is why powering up and shutting down takes place so often.

Sometimes, instead of being on call, I do an overnight shift at a hospital. There are no patients to see except during emergencies. My laptop is the only thing that keeps me from dying of boredom on these overnights. I prepare my sermons and lesson plans for the churches I serve on it as well.  Why is this germane? Because this week, I am doing overnights every night. Much of the advice I receive will be implemented as able, while I sit in the chaplain's office waiting for an emergency but when the pager goes off, I go. If there are any issues that must be "seen through without interruption" I need to know about it so I can act accordingly.

Thank you,

JAL

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hats off to you for your occupation. If this keeps reoccuring, I'd suggest you start a thread in the Virus Removal Forum at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/. If you have Revo uninstaller you need t olook for unfamiliar programs. I prefer Revo over Windows uninstaller cause it allows you to search for traces left on your HDD and registry and delte them. If you're able t odownload it I highly recommend it. After the uninstall besure to click to search for traces.

#4 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

is that where I was supposed to post my plea for help?

I am very new to this stuff.

Way back in engineering school, I learned a modicum of programming: Pascal, LISP and a little basic. I was never good and I never made the jump to windows.

All of this stuff is a "black box" to me and I have no idea what happens on the inside. I am begging for help because I cannot afford to take my laptop in. Both because of time restraints and because of the cost.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Because it keeps being detected I'm afraid the virus is still there is why I suggested that. I am new to this forum but not to computers. It is a nasty virus but the techs there are experts and will help you through the process. I am also a chaplain, PM me and we an chat.

#6 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Because it keeps being detected I'm afraid the virus is still there is why I suggested that. I am new to this forum but not to computers. It is a nasty virus but the techs there are experts and will help you through the process. I am also a chaplain, PM me and we an chat.

Thank you.

My post has been cut and pasted into the other forum.

#7 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

I posted the below in a reply to the thread I started in the log forum. Only afterwards did I realize that I had sabotaged my place in line.

I am reposting here to serve as a repository/record of the behavior I observe as I try to get this sorted out.

Again, I appreciate all assistance.

+++++++++++

I just rebooted the laptop after arriving at the hospital and have new phenomena to report

1. The computer attempted to "check the disk" when starting up this time. It has not done that for several times. I aborted by pressing the space key.

2. After pressing the space key, another "check disk" routine came up. It too was aborted with the space key.

3. This was followed by yet a third message (all thus far on the black boot screen) saying that my installed antivirus was doing something. Too fast for me to follow, it came up with a "Successful" message and then the rest of the boot routine was normal. I have never seen anything like this before.

4. On entering Windows, the MS Security essentials icon in the tray was red. I opened it and it listed the dynamer!dtc file and something called "add candy". I told it to remove them and it ostensibly did but I have no confidence in the result.

5. The icon remained red and showed that MS Security Essentials was off, even though it was set for on. About a minute later, the icon turned green.

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Was this just recently or back when you were having trouble? Meaning what you just posted?

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 03 December 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#9 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

Was this just recently or back when you were having trouble? Meaning what you just posted?

This was when I started the laptop up at the hospital, about 10:55 pm on the evening of the 2nd.

#10 JAL3San Antonio

JAL3San Antonio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Latest in the SAGA:

While at the hospital last night, I ran Ad Aware which found no problems.

I then started Mal Aware Bytes and let it run. When I left the hospital at 7 AM, it was still running and had not yet reported anything. I had to leave and tried to shut it down and found that it was unresponsive. I forcibly shut down the system.

When I rebooted a few minutes ago from home, I was expecting the worst and had a camera ready to capture the various chkdsk screens I reported yesterday. As it happens, only the first, standard one appeared and I bypassed it.

Boot still takes longer than normal but otherwise, everything seemed fine at startup. I still do not trust the system enough to conduct e-commerce but its not as dreadfully slow as it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users