Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new computer just broke... Someone please help!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

What's the problem?

I just got a new computer off my fathers friend and the computer was running great for approximatly 4 days. I then decided to add my new graphics cards. Upon doing this when I loaded up the computer everything seemed fine, I installed the drivers and once again, everything seemed fine. As I loaded up my game Fallout: New Vegas it detected the settings automaticlly and decided I could run it on ultra, I then click play. A message poped up saying "No audio device detected" so I was really confused. I've spend all night installing drivers, checking everything inside was okay (what I think is okay) I even re-installed windows and still the same problem arose, the speaker in the bottom right of the screen had the mute button it and said "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". I plugged my headphones in and it still said that, I tried the front and back port! Someone please help me with this I just got this computer and I really need it for things!

Thank you!

*UPDATE* Okay, so here's what I did to solve this problem, I put my old graphics card back into the computer and then the sound came back on and working. What does this suggest? My other dual graphics cards fit into the slots perfectly but for some reason they seemed to have stopped sound...

The dual graphics cards that I had in the computer were joined together via a cabled labled 'Crossfirex' I think. As they seemed to have stopped the sound from working, does this mean my motherboard does NOT supposed them then?

Can someone please explain?

Thank you, sorry for the best explenation!

Edited by Maxey243, 02 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

I suppose you'll have already checked whether the front panel header has come loose on the motherboard. I suppose that wouldn't matter if you tried the out on the back panel of the mb though. Of course it's worth checking if something in your windows configuration got messed. Go into device manager and check out the audio devices section, making sure the sound isn't disabled. If you want a sure fire way if differentiating between it being a hardware or software issue, boot a Linux based live DVD and see if you get sound there. If you don't, you'll know it's something to do with the machine itself, and you can go from there.

It's also possible that if you added some high powered graphics cards, you're stretching your PSU and your audio chipset isn't getting the power it requires. It's a long shot but you could also try uninstalling the graphics cards and their drivers and basically trying to get the machine as close to the state as when it ran perfect and if the sound works again, you'll know it's something in installing those cards that's causing problems.

Edited by Briany, 02 December 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#3 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thank you for the fast response. I put the old card back into the computer and the sound decided to work again. As soon as I place my dual cards into the computer the sound decides to stay on mute and not come off because it won't detect my devices. Could this be the motherboard, it is a DDR2 motherboard I'm thinking maybe it doesn't support CrossfireX. 

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

You didnt mention what type of card, ATI or NVIDIA, both of these install their own sound drivers. Some tiems they over rule the onboard drivers so make sure you are selecting all the drivers properly.

Forgot to mention that make sure you uninstall the GFX drivers before removing the old card!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#5 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Yes I made sure I uninstalled them. The dual cards are ATI whereas the old card is NVIDIA.

#6 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you want to know whether or not your motherboard supports Crossfire or whether DDR2 is causing a problem, you've got to read the manuals for your respective mobo and gpu.

#7 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

I do not have the manual because I purchased the computer second hand. He got the computer from his work place.

#8 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I do not have the manual because I purchased the computer second hand. He got the computer from his work place.

Just go to the manufacturers' websites. They should have the manuals available in PDF format. As long as you know the make of your mobo and GPU, finding their documentation should be a piece of cake. This is 2013. If companies don't have their manuals up online for reference, then they're a bit of a shambles.

#9 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Ah okay I see. I'll do it in the morning then. I need to get a new motherboard anyway apparently, my socket is real old I think.

#10 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Did you go into the control panel for whatever sound card you use and set it up? Most have several settings depending on if you're using souround sound, basic PC speakers or headphones. If it isn't set to the right setting you won't get sound. There's also a lot of setings to improve your sound there. Good luck.

#11 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:57 AM

Yes I did this. I went into control panel and went onto the sound setting and it said something like AMD HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT and then underneath it said it wasn't plugged in. The dual graphics card are Redeon so I don't know if this could be the problem or what. When I put the old graphics card that was previously in the computer (and now back is) is NVIDIA and the sound works fine with that card. The sound only plays up when the Redeon dual graphics cards are installed into the computer.

#12 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hey, I just look at the manual of the motherboard where it tells me how to install a graphics card and it says nothing about CrossfireX or anything. I was wondering if someone would write me a small guide on how to change the cards correctly. At the moment I have my NVIDIA card installed along with all the drivers and I would like to switch to my better, dual ATI cards. As you probably know, the ATI cards disabled my sound so that it would not work at all. Can someone please write me a small guide of how I should change the cards over safely and correctly please, it would be a big help.

Thank you very much!

#13 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hey, I just look at the manual of the motherboard where it tells me how to install a graphics card and it says nothing about CrossfireX or anything. I was wondering if someone would write me a small guide on how to change the cards correctly. At the moment I have my NVIDIA card installed along with all the drivers and I would like to switch to my better, dual ATI cards. As you probably know, the ATI cards disabled my sound so that it would not work at all. Can someone please write me a small guide of how I should change the cards over safely and correctly please, it would be a big help.

Thank you very much!

Well it's really just a case of uninstalling the Nvidia drivers using the Add/Remove Programs section in the control panel, followed by removing the Nvidia card from the machine, which I presume you know how to do since you've already done it and haven't physically broken anything. If your monitor has a HDMI input, you could maybe enable the AMD HDMI Output in your audio settings and if your monitor has a headphone output, you could plug in your phones and get sound that way, bypassing the motherboard's onboard sound altogether!

#14 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

My monitor doesn't have any ports for sound as the monitor has no speaker. Do I uninstall the drivers first or something or won't that make a difference.

#15 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

My monitor doesn't have any ports for sound as the monitor has no speaker. Do I uninstall the drivers first or something or won't that make a difference.

Well, when I do it, I uninstall drivers first. Windows will revert to the inbuilt drivers at that point and you can switch off the machine, install the other GPU(s), switch it back in, boot into Windows and install the appropriate drivers for that make and model at that point, but if you have no way of getting sound, gaming's not going to be much fun, I would imagine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users