Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Explorer, No Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I have a problem that started I guess a week ago.  First I noticed that North's Utilities reported that core files had changed -- reinstall program.  Then the program ran as usual.  Like a dummy, I did nothing.

Then today when I was booting up, I noticed an error :  Windows cannot find the following files in the C:\Windows/INF/ folder  ( msnetmtg.inf, msmgs.inf wmpll.inf and fxocm.inf).

Okay, I rebooted and got a blank desktop, there was no icons on the screen, could not get to quick launch toolbar at bottom of the page.  The only thing I could do was alt-crtl-del  The Task manager opened and I tried to to start explorer.exe it appear and quickly disappeared.  I can go to new task, type in explorer.exe and it will appear for about 5 seconds and disappear.

So at this point all I have is a yellow screen which is the background color, no icons, no quick launch bar, no nothing.  I suspect that I have a bad infection.  Also, I tried to do a system recovery, no system restore points are available.  I even tried to reinstall windows and got a message the start windows normally and then insert the disk and upgrade from without windows.  Since I cannot access anything from windows normally, cannot upgrade or reinstall Windows over the current installation.

I cannot run any program because I cannot get explorer.exe to load.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2013 - 09:08 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688326/en-us

Good Luck

#3 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Can you enter into the safemode? Try with safe mode first. Second, load Windows with "Last known good configuration", sometimes it helps.

Get out your hard disk from computer, go to your best friend and connect your hard inside his computer, then scan only your HD with Malware Bytes (in safe mode ofc). Feel free to backup your files there.

If nothing helps, install fresh windows (delete all partitions and create them again). That should erase your problem.

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

hello

sounds like a virus/worm. i would try system file checker also. if you can get into windows 7 normal desktop GUI or via safe mode, go to start--search box--'cmd'--right click and run as administrator- then type in the command sfc /scannow

if you cant get into safe mode or normal desktop at all and if you have a windows install disc to boot to, you can run the system file checker from that. follow this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

see if that helps at all with repairing any system files that became corrupted, damaged, etc.

Edited by acerts04, 03 December 2013 - 06:10 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Can you enter into the safemode? Try with safe mode first. Second, load Windows with "Last known good configuration", sometimes it helps.

Get out your hard disk from computer, go to your best friend and connect your hard inside his computer, then scan only your HD with Malware Bytes (in safe mode ofc). Feel free to backup your files there.

If nothing helps, install fresh windows (delete all partitions and create them again). That should erase your problem.

Nope, when I get into safe mode, it is just a blank black screen.  Last known good configuration results in the same blank screen.  Am trying not to lose data.

Estelle

#6 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

hello

sounds like a virus/worm. i would try system file checker also. if you can get into windows 7 normal desktop GUI or via safe mode, go to start--search box--'cmd'--right click and run as administrator- then type in the command sfc /scannow

if you cant get into safe mode or normal desktop at all and if you have a windows install disc to boot to, you can run the system file checker from that. follow this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

see if that helps at all with repairing any system files that became corrupted, damaged, etc.

I get an error when trying to run sfc /scannow   It does not run.

#7 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'll repeat: "Get out your hard disk from computer, go to your best friend and connect your hard inside his computer, then scan only your HD with Malware Bytes (in safe mode ofc). Feel free to backup your files there."

#8 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688326/en-us

Good Luck

I can launch other programs,  as evidenced by the fact that I was able to launch this browser.  It is the explorer.exe that is causing the problem

#9 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

what is the error that you received?

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users