Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Newer Games On Computer Freeze Up System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Problem Child

Problem Child

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

hello i dont know if this is the right place to post this but im saying it cant be my graphics card because all my other games i play work

Games That Dont Work Are:

Cold War - theres no patch for this game yet - i thought it would have to be my graphics card so i updated the drivers for it and the game is still crashing my computer - all it does is it shuts down the monitor and the computer is still running but its just frozen up and i have to force shut it down by holding in the turn off button on the computer tower - by the way it has a copy protection that checks the disk before th egame starts up ive heard that cause's problems for the game and the computer....

Mall Tycoon 3 - i can play this game for a few mins and it screws up my computer.. The Game Freezes and The monitor turns off and i have to force shut down the computer - and yes i patched the game still the same problem - and yes my graphics card is updated - the game still crash's

Games Like Mall Tycoon 3 and Cold War are nothing compaired to these games if you know what i mean
Games Like Half Life 2 , Doom 3 , Fear work great

My Graphics Card Is:
ATI Radeon 9800XXL
128 MB DDR SDRAM
256 Bit Memory Interface
8x AGP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

And Another Thing I Forgot To Add

When i have to force shutdown my computer and start it back up the screen looks all weird and bleep how would i explain that over here since i cant add any bloody picture into this website without putting it on a website then adding the picture here arrrg im angry

And i have to switch the computer off by the power point to have the graphic problem fixed

if you can help me or want the picture just messege me send me a messege and i'll send the picture to your email

Does anyone have any idea at all what is causeing this?
Would it be best to reformat my computer?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

Can we assume you tried the obvious solution of uninstalling these games completely then re-installing them?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

well yes ive tryed that and it still was stuffing up.. anyway ive formatted my computer so hopefully all goes well and if it still stuffs up then its something to do with my graphics card

P.S dont buy a german computer from aldi's

#5 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

nope it for sure is my graphics card because i formatted my C: drive and everything and games are still crashing on my computer making me have to restart the computer a number of times

so please some body help me

whats wrong with my beautiful graphics card its killing me i dont want to have to buy a brand new one

is there some program i can use to check if my graphics card is working?? tell me what it is

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

If you are crashing on these two games only, and can play others which seems to be the case, then it would not be your graphics card that is causing the problem, but some bit of code within the two games that is creating some sort of conflict with the card's drivers. Most games have official boards or forums; you might check on those to see if others have the same problems with each game and whether they found a solution, since the problem seems to be game-specific. Look for updates and patches there, as well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

yeah sorry i tryed a number of games on it and it still crashed

um the graphics card fan is that ment to be spinning all the time??

cause my graphics card fan is spinning - the only time the computer crashes well just the screen goes off and the computer tower doesnt respond.. it only does it when im playing games when im browsing the net it works fine

i formatted my computer and everything

but as i noticed now the graphics card fan dont spin well ive got my computer open now and i cant see it spinning.. its getting very hot though

but if its because my graphics card fan isnt spinning and heating up and crashing the screen how come it only does it when im playing games not when im searching the net and doing whatever

Edited by Problem Child, 05 May 2006 - 07:21 PM.

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

but if its because my graphics card fan isnt spinning and heating up and crashing the screen how come it only does it when im playing games not when im searching the net and doing whatever

Games are GPU intense and make the card work harder creating more heat causing
thermal overload and the card shuts down rather then melt into the MOBO or explode.
The fan should spin all the time.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:53 AM

okay so its the fan on the graphics card damn i wonder how much thats going to cost to replace - because the fan isnt spinning at all

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:02 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835116003
$4.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...93564&CatId=498
$9.99

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 Problem Child

Problem Child
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:15 AM

by the way the fan is built into the graphics card i dont think i can just simply buy another fan for it

( Medion Ati Radeon 9800 XXL ) ( http://www.pc-erfahrung.de/Index.html?ATIRadeon9800XXL.html ) then again maybe i can
i dunno i might just send it in to some people who know what there doinng to fix it

#12 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:08 AM

You can remove the heatsink entirely then install the new heatsink. It really ins't that hard. By looking at the pic, you should have some spring loaded clips. Just compress the clips at the end and pull.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users