My rather old Packard Bell laptop is not booting up anymore. Last I saw on the screen was that AVG performed an update. This was November 28th. On Novermber 29th, I noticed the laptop's "on" LEDs were alight even though the screen was black and the laptop did not respond. I had to perform a hard shut down and after that, the laptop does not boot anymore (Windows Vista), except for startup repair, which does not help me. More details below.
When I switch on the laptop, I get prompted that Windows did failed to start, and that there are two options:
- Launch startup repair (recommended)
- Start Windows normally
When I launch startup repair (option 1), the following happens:
- I get this Windows wait bar running
- Then a blakc screen
- Then a white cursor arrow emerges in the center of the screen
- Then the Windows icon pops up
- Then a Windows screen with "please wait"
- Then a login screen with only "Other User" as possible login. I don't use a password on my laptop, and admin/admin returns the message "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"
When I try to start Windows normally (option 2), the following happens:
- I again get the Windows wait bar running
- Then a very short blue screen and an immediate crash and reboot
When I hit F8 and try to boot in safe mode, the same thing happens. The file that is invoked last before the crash is avgidshx.sys.
I cannot afford to lose the data on the laptop and it's been a while since I last made a back-up. Please help.