Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista does not boot anymore (AVG related?)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mypcisdead

mypcisdead

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

LS,

My rather old Packard Bell laptop is not booting up anymore. Last I saw on the screen was that AVG performed an update. This was November 28th. On Novermber 29th, I noticed the laptop's "on" LEDs were alight even though the screen was black and the laptop did not respond. I had to perform a hard shut down and after that, the laptop does not boot anymore (Windows Vista), except for startup repair, which does not help me. More details below.

When I switch on the laptop, I get prompted that Windows did failed to start, and that there are two options:

1. Launch startup repair (recommended)
  2. Start Windows normally

When I launch startup repair (option 1), the following happens:

• I get this Windows wait bar running
  • Then a blakc screen
  • Then a white cursor arrow emerges in the center of the screen
  • Then the Windows icon pops up
  • Then a Windows screen with "please wait"
  • Then a login screen with only "Other User" as possible login. I don't use a password on my laptop, and admin/admin returns the message "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

When I try to start Windows normally (option 2), the following happens:

• I again get the Windows wait bar running
  • Then a very short blue screen and an immediate crash and reboot

When I hit F8 and try to boot in safe mode, the same thing happens. The file that is invoked last before the crash is avgidshx.sys.

I cannot afford to lose the data on the laptop and it's been a while since I last made a back-up. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Try the steps listed in this link. Only rename the files that begin with avg. Do not delete.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=94159#post_94159

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#3 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

I tried to create a bootable USB first, but that did not work ("No operating system found"). Then I created a bootable CD, and followed all the steps in your link. Note: the mounted system drive for me was not /mnt/sda1/ but I had /mnt/sdb1/ and mnt/sdb2/. The former did not contain any avg files in the drivers folder; the latter did, so I renamed the ones in there.

The problem presists though; I get exactly the same behaviour as described in my opening post, except the safe mode boot now crashes after crcdisk.sys.

Any thoughts?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

I believe you will need to use a Vista install disk, get to a command prompt and use the sfc/scannow command at the C:\Windows\System32. This will check for any corrupted system files and replace them. If not, you will have to find a VIsta Install disk and if you have Vista SP1 installed, you will need an install disk with SP1. If you do not have a Visa install disk and need your data, use the CD you created and copy the files to a flash drive or external drive. This computer may have  a system image on the hard drive you can use to set the computer back to a factory state. Do not do this if you have not copied your important data yet. What is the model number of your Packard-Bell?Other than that, I do not know what else you can do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

#5 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi, I am not entirely sure what you mean after "If not". Am I correct in assuming the following:

• I need a Vista Install disk to perform the scan you suggested, possibly one with the exact SP version as my Vista Installation. I neither have a Vista Install disk, not do I know which SP is on my laptop. I keep up with the automatic updates though, so it should be the latest one. Is there somewhere I can get an image of such a CD?
  • I again booted with the AVD CD I created, this time also with an external HD connected. I am currently moving my files to said HD. For info, this time I had mounted:
    • /sda: empty
    • /sda1: no avg files in the drivers folder
    • /sda2: the avg files I renamed are in the drivers folder
    • /sdb: empty
    • /sdb1: the external HD
    • /sr0: seems to be the CD

It seems to be working. If this recovers my files, I am forever in your debt!

Update: even though the laptop told me it was copying all the files seemed to be on /mnt/sdb1 when I checked, when I now check the external HD with a different laptop, nothing seems to have been transferred. The folder I copied everything to is empty. Any ideas? Should I have performed any closing actions after the transfer?

• In order to get the laptop up and running again, what to do there? I tried (of course), via F8 to get to a latest known working configuration, but that did not work. I do have Packard Bell Recovery CD's I made after my previous big laptop issue though. Would that work? Will I retain my data, or will it be removed?

Edited by mypcisdead, 04 December 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yes, if you do not have an install disk you will not be able to do a sfc/scannow. But, we can try another program for copying files which I believe will work better for you.

Download Puppy linux 5.2.8 . I like Puppy for this as it is only about 100MB and the default user is root which means you should not have any problem with user permissions.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Burn the iso file and boot the CD.

You should see your hard drive in the lower left corner. Just click it and it will mount automatically, showing its contents. You should see your normal windows directories. Insert a USB flash drive or external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Clicking it will mount it and display any contents. Then you can copy (not move) the files you need. Here is a link explaining the process. On page two, do not do the disk check. It may look complicated but it is actually quite easy once you get Puppy booted. Good Luck

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Edit: Another option is to transfer the hard drive to another computer or use an adapter like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Adapter-Cable-/180550148600?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item2a09a0a1f8

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#7 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

I tried the Puppy procedure. It all went well, except:

• I got an NTFS warning when mounting a hard drive:

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the ntfs partition and returned this error message:

Failed to write lock ‘/dev/sda2’: Resource temporarily unavailable

Error opening ‘/dev/sda2’: Resource temporarily unavailable

Failed to mount ‘/dev/sda2’: Resource temporarily unavailable

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read-only.

• After copying, the program said there was an error, but I have no idea what:

There was one error.

I am doing a second back-up of my entire “Frank” folder right now. Will let you know what happened and whether files are OK.

#8 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

The second back-up contained 17 errors. Any idea why and what kind of errors that might be?

I checked with a different laptop and the files are now transferred to the HD. I'm extremely happy with that! Thanks so much!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

Edit: I would like to know you have access to another computer that has Windows 7 or Vista on it. If so you could create a recovery disk from within Windows and use that instead of the Puppy Disk.

Your welcome. Glad you got your data back. You probably have file system errors that could be corrected by using Chkdsk. Since you do not have an install disk, we can try "Run a basic disk check on Partitions" as outlined in page 2 of the Puppy tutorial. This isn't a subsitute for the Chkdsk command but it may work. Just make absolutely sure that you have all your data and pictures including any email files you need and that they are not corrupted because correcting these file system errors sometimes goes bad.

Do the disk check on all the partitions of the disk (sda1 and sda2) and then remove the Puppy cd. Boot the computer. Windows should then go through it's check which will take quite awhile. If this does not work, I think we can download a legal copy a full install disk of Vista, or another boot cd which should allow you to do a full check using the Chkdsk command.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#10 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Can't continue with this now. Will have to pick this up later as something much worse happened.

I have the exact same problem on my work laptop now. This is the one I used to check files on the HD I transferred data to from my private laptop. Could whatever caused the issue have "jumped" to my wotk laptop?

I can't find my data with Puppy, as the drive is encrypted with Bitlocker. Any ideas?

Edited by mypcisdead, 07 December 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#11 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

My work laptop asked me for my Bitlocker code, and after it took a while to start Startup Repair.
This has been stuck in "Searching for problems..." for about 45 minutes now. Is that normal? Or what to do?

Edit: as I was editing this post to mention I saw the last change about 25 minutes ago (bar at left bottom with "X:\windows\..." in it appeared) the laptop moved to "Attempting repairs..."

Edited by mypcisdead, 07 December 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am not sure why that would have happened. I don't believe your laptop was infected by transferring your personal files because it was done offline and not while Windows was running but I can't be 100% sure. Bitlocker could be a problem though. I am not familiar enough with Bitlocker to help. Hopefully somebody on the forum can jump in here or you can post to the Am I infected Forum and see if they can help. I would be hesitant to try and attach your laptop drive to another computer because the same thing may happen.

Edit: I would let it run. I have known people that have had to run the repair more than once before windows would boot. But this was for systems without Bitlocker.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#13 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I transferred files from my personal laptop to the external HD offline with Puppy. I checked whether stuff was there with my work laptop running Windows and while it was connected to internet via wireless.

Edited by mypcisdead, 07 December 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#14 mypcisdead

mypcisdead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Opened a thread there as well.

After "Checking for Problems" taking an hour and "Attemping Repairs" another 2.5 hrs, the work laptop rebooted. Still no luck in normal startup; going to retry repair now

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Has the data on your work laptop been backed up? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users