Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gng5

gng5

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS SATA 3.5" HDD does not load into Windows anymore even though BIOS recognizes it. The failure happened about 3 to 4 weeks ago.

After completion of POST, it reports Windows did not shut down properly and offers the options to continue in either Safe Mode, the last know good configuration or starts Windows normally. I have tried both the Safe mode and Normal mode and it does not load into Windows in either case.

I have also tried the Seatools diagnostic software. The acoustics test can make it go idle and make it spin back up. But it fails both the short and the long tests reporting it has bad sectors. I have run the Seatools long test on it several times now. The first time after the failure Seatools does the scan up to (from memory) about 10% of the total drive capacity before getting stuck. Now the long test does not scan any area of the HDD at all and reports bad sectors virtually right away.

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

I hate to say it but the Drive is toast and needs to be replaced. There may be a chance of getting data off of it. But continuing to try and use it will make that harder and harder as if appears to be failing rapidly.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 gng5

gng5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

Hi Roger

Thank you for your reply.

I want to recover the data from the drive. What do you recommend? Someone at work has suggested to replace its PCB board. How do I tell whether the PCB board is a problem or the problem?

Thank you again.

Paul

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

The problem is probably not the PCB board, especially if you can read data from the drive.  Replacing the PCB isn't for the faint of heart.

You can try SpinRite, but it isn't free.  Even if SpinRite corrects the issues you are having I'm with rotor123, personally wouldn't trust the drive after.

My recommendation would be to connect the drive to another machine and copy the data off before you go much further.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Copy what You can before tinkering with the drive. From Your description it sounds as if the drive is circling the drain.

Do not power it up until You are ready to recover to ensure the best results.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 gng5

gng5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hi Roger and RKilroy

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the drive is not readable so I can't copy its data. What do you recommend I try? Still SpinRite?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

It makes no sense...to spend money...to verify that a drive is dead, IMO...there are free utilities which do the job.  Purchasing a program on the hope that it can overcome a failing hard drive...is not what I would suggest, considering that you can buy a new hard drive with at least a 3-year warranty...for less than the cost of said program.

As far as data recovery efforts...there are plenty of free programs by which you can attempt such, I've listed a few used where members have reported success.

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html

Data Recovery Using Puppy Linux, Brooks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/

Louis

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Unfortunately, the drive is not readable so I can't copy its data. What do you recommend I try? Still SpinRite?

From your earlier posting I was getting that it was trying to boot into Windows.  How did you determine the drive is not readable.

It makes no sense...to spend money...to verify that a drive is dead, IMO...there are free utilities which do the job. 

The tools you listed are for a different purpose, to recover data by reading the drive.  From the web page, "If SpinRite is not used until after a crash, it skillfully picks up all the pieces, recovers your data, and puts everything back together again."  You can read more on the SpinRite's Data Recovery Technology page.

SpinRite can take a long time, months even, to recover data.  I've personally had mixed results, mostly due to not being able to let it run as long as needed.  I have also been able to repair drives that previously were flagged by the manufacturer's tool for replacement so that they would not fail again.

I wouldn't recommend SpinRite for a drive not recognized in BIOS or one that seems to have mechanical issue, i.e. head crash.  I only recommend it in this situation because it seemed by the original posting that the drive is reading and does not boot into Windows.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Personal Opinion try one of the data recovery options listed by Louis. If no success it may be time to put it aside just in case something better comes along and move on.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 gng5

gng5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hello RKilroy, Roger and Louis

I really appreciate your individual time and effort to help me through my HDD problem. Thanks guys.

My apologies. Please let me clarify what I mean by the HDD is not readable and the exact status of the HDD. It doesn't boot into Windows as it's stuck at the Windows loading logo. I've also tried to view the contents of the HDD using another PC. I can see the HDD in the list of HDDs in Windows. When I double click on the failed HDD to view its contents it froze the PC.

I'm going to try the data recovery software products Louis has kindly recommended. Thank you Louis.

If they can't recover the data, do you guys suggest I try to recover the data using SpinRite? A related issue is that RKilroy has already anticipated the problem could be mechanical in nature. SpinRite would not be a solution then. How do I determine whether the problem is mechanical or one that SpinRite is not capable of sorting out in the first place?

Thank you to each of you for your time and effort.

Paul

#11 gng5

gng5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

Hi

Thank you for all of your recommendations so far.

I have tried the following things as suggested:

* PartedMagic. During its start, it reports errors on the HDD. Unfortunately, it's not able boot to the desktop of PartedMagic.

* Precise Puppy Linux. It boots into the Linux desktop. The HDD does not appear in the bottom left of the desktop although it appears in the Device, ie its version of Device Manager.

* SpinRite. My HDD has two partitions, one is the bootable partition and the other has all my data. SpinRite recognizes the two partitions. It allows access to the bootable partition but it does not allow access to the data partition. SpinRite gives you a listing of the HDDs and their partitions to let you select which one(s) to work on. When the cursor is moved to the bootable partition it displays its details and lets you press Space to select/deselect it (as you would expect). When the cursor is moved to the data partition it does not display its details. It reports it does not have access to the entire range of this partition and you can't select/deselect it.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Paul

#12 gng5

gng5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hi

Sorry, I have to correct my last posting. PartedMagic loads ok into its desktop (the burning of the PartedMagic CD on the first go somehow didn't work properly). My problem HDD is visible in the File Manager but it can't be mounted so can't see its folders/files. By the way, the wrong number of partitions are reported. None of the partitions are mountable. I have also tried testdisk | CREATE | Proceed | Intel | Advanced. At this Advanced step, it shows no partition at all though.

Paul

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

<<I'm going to try the data recovery software products Louis has kindly recommended. Thank you Louis.

If they can't recover the data, do you guys suggest I try to recover the data using SpinRite? A related issue is that RKilroy has already anticipated the problem could be mechanical in nature. SpinRite would not be a solution then. How do I determine whether the problem is mechanical or one that SpinRite is not capable of sorting out in the first place?>>

I would not.  If I could not recover the data using a free method...then I would try my paid version of GetDataBack (only because I paid for it 5 or 6 years ago and I think it's good).  If no success, I would move on.'

Sometimes...users have to lose data...before they see the value in backing up and make it routine.  It's a lot easier to troubleshoot typical system issues if you have a backup you can turn to.  "As the nursery rhym says:  "All the king's horses and all the king's men...could never put Humpty together again.  But a backup would do the job.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi, Louis

I had good luck With GetDataBack when I was working too. It did a better job than the Ontrack data recovery software that I had bought.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users