Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

format required

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kennyg74

Kennyg74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi

I have an pny sd card (8GB) It has been used and has a bunch of family videos/photos. On inserting it into either the camera or pc it now says the card needs to be formatted before use. Using the disk manager (win7) I can see the file format is now RAW.

I've tried a few recovery tools but none of them them have been able to recover anything, this is without formatting the card.

I'm not sure whether to format the card and then rerun the recovery program in the hope it will then extract something...

I'd be grateful for any advice, is it safe to format...

K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 B_Becky

B_Becky

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:38 AM

Maybe there is a kind of tool can help you to recover data you lost. But actually I do not know about the tool very much. I knew it from the google and I noticed that the comments of the tool were pretty good, so you can have a try. And you can visit this website for more detailed information. 

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

DO NOT FORMAT the card.  Formatting the card will make data recovery more difficult, if not impossible.

Recuva is something you can try.

#4 Kennyg74

Kennyg74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi I took it to currys for a second opinion it looks "stuffed" they tried various recovery tools as well and got nothing. Thinking of sending it to a professional company ££££££££ thanks

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

I can recommend Kroll Ontrack.  Professional recovery isn't cheap.  I've never used Kroll for a memory card, only hard drives, but I've need seen a charge of less than $1,000 for data recovery.  It might be a lot less for a memory card, but I wouldn't expect a lot less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users