Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tape tv shows with comcast

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Just hung up with the comcast guy who tells me it'll cost another $20 a month and I've got to LEASE their modem (just bought a brand new one) in order to

tape some of their rebroadcasts.

I couldn't find a forum on this topic so I hope this is appropriate.

I've read about some devices that do not require Comcast fees.

Can anyone give me some advice on such equipment or point to an information source?

Thanks,

Jimvt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Record a TV program?  That has nothing to do with the modem.  The modem provides internet service.

I've got Time-Warner cable, but it shouldn't be much different.  Your TV signal is processed by a Set Top Box, or STB.  There are STB's with and without the capability to act as Digital Video Recorders (DVRs).  If you currently have a STB that is non-DVR, you would need to exchange it for one that has DVR capability.  That is usually at an added cost. 

I'm not aware of any cable TV providers that allow you to own your own STB in the US.  They are all rentals. 

Alternately you could use a TIVO, but you would still need to rent the cable card from Comcast.  Or you can use one of the cable receivers that you can add to your PC and use your PC as a DVR.  Again would still need to rent a cable card. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

What cable box(es) do you currently have?

If you have one that allows access to On Demand and are considering a TIVO you need to be aware that you may not be able to get On Demand with the TIVO.

It is available in some areas, though. More info here https://www.tivo.com/discover/cable

The only reason I don't switch from Comcast DVR to TIVO is because I would not have On Demand access with a TIVO in my area. On Demand is a must have for me.

For reasons known only to Comcast, it will not be made available on TIVO's in my area anytime soon. No plans have been made to add it in 2014.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Good point about the On Demand QE.  I didn't think of that because I never use it.

TIVO (and other devices that use a cable card) don't work with VOD because VOD requires a two way communications on the cable.  Takes a full STB to do that, a cable card device is not capable. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

As I said some Comcast areas are able to get On Demand with TIVO. Comcast doesn't seem to be interested in providing it to ALL customers who want to use TIVO.

I did not mention the fact that Comcast has regular DVR's and a newer one called X1.

A lot of people have reported bugs in the X1.

To jimvt, if you have any questions about Comcast DVR service and the boxes used I suggest you ask them in the Comcast Help Forum.

I took a quick peek at the members list there and found 2 posters with jimvt/jimvt1 as user names. Are one or both of them you? If so, you sign in as one of them and ask in the TV Equipment forum.

#6 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Thanks to all for your wisdom.

Bama Bell, ya'll gotta be in hog heaven this week.

Yeah, I'm jimvt and I don't have a lot of confidence in the Comcast helpers.

Witness, the guy who wants me to lease a modem to record!

You can tell I'm an old f*rt I said "tape" first time.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

For what it's worth, those who do most of the helping in the Comcast forum are Comcast customers. There are employees who do help and respond (their names are in red and designated as such) but for the most part it's us, the customers doing what we can to help. And believe me, sometimes we know more than what the people you talk to on the phone know. (My name there is the same one as here)

Had you asked your questions in the Comcast forum, I guarantee NO ONE would have told you that you would have to lease a modem for recording tv shows. You just happened to talk to one of the clueless agents.

And yes, I am in hog heaven after the Iron Bowl. Bragging rights for the next year belong to Auburn.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 December 2013 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users