Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to erase hard drive to factory.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hello,
I have my sister in law's laptop that will not turn on. I can access the hard drive with my desktop using an enclosure and it seems to be fine. Using my desktop, I would like to erase everything except the default programs. If the laptop was working, I would just restore it to factory settings. Is there a way to do this without having to go through manually and delete every file and folder. For a better understanding, I would like to sell it on eBay as a "for parts/not working" but I don't want to leave the buyer with a blank hard drive if they are able to fix the laptop, I also don't want them to be able to access her personal stuff either. I'm not sure if it matters, but the laptop is a Hp dv6 windows 7 and my desktop is a gateway dx4860-ub21p windows 7. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think it's better to go through it manually because there is no "reset to factory settings" option, in most cases. There are some computers (I saw Acer have that option) that can restore OS to it's factory settings. The best way is to erase everything you don't wan't to give them, find some software to wipe free space, defrag harddrives, and you'r good to go :)

#3 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

That's what I was figured I would have to do. Not having a whole lot of experience/knowledge, I'm just worried I might leave something behind somewhere that I didn't know to look. Guess i better start digging! Thanks for your help!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

If you have restore disks:

Run Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) - this will completely wipe the drive

Restore computer with restore disks.

If you don't have restore disks and don't feel like paying for them.

DBAN the drive and just leave it blank.  If someone buys it for parts they won't care that it doesn't have an Operating System (OS).

#5 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for responding. Since I am using my desktop, will this wipe the whole computer or just the drive selected? This seems like my best option, thank you

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

You can do either.  Personally I recommend disconnecting any drives you do not want to wipe, just to be safe.

Please remember that DBAN works on physical drives, not logical drives.  So, if your drive is partitioned into C: and D: they are both on the same physical drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users