Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 start up trouble

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 giant100

giant100

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hello,

I just recently reinstalled windows on my Toshiba laptop,but now it fails to start.

I have taken the hard drive out and tried it in a different pc and it works without any errors.

so what might my problem be now?

could it be bad Ram?

Any help is appreciated and thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Good morning, can you please tell us more about your specs and what problems you were having  that led you to reinstall windows? Thank you.

#3 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

It is a Toshiba Satellite C660D

The laptop completely froze.

After several hours the laptop would go in to startup repair and eventually would give the message

"Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Thanks for replying.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

To get your full system specs please download ans run http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 and post the results here.

Also if you could download and run Mini Toolbox http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ and post the restults.

#5 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Can't run these,i can't boot into the computer.

What options would you suggest now

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

When you try to power up, how far can you go or does it not even power up? If you can get to the bios screen you can try to start in safe mode with networking. If it doesn't power up at all I'd say we are propbably looking at a faulty power supple.

#7 trippak

trippak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

Go to BIOS and Reset to Factory settings. Try to boot into the safemode and install MiniToolbox then. If nothing helps, it can be ram or otherwise motherboard. Sometimes Toshiba laptops have problem with cooler, you should check them.

If nothing helps, try installing Windows again (delete all partitions and create them again).

#8 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

Computer won't boot from cd or boot into bios.

When it starts it goes to screen where you pick 2 options

1.startup repair

2.start windows normally

No matter which one you pick it still goes to start up repair where it checks and says then that it can't be repaired.

i can go into advanced boot options.

System restore,cmd etc.

Thanks for your help so far.

Anything else you can suggest,i would very much appreciate it.

#9 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hello, i would first off run hardware diagnostics on your laptop. If you can boot
Into advanced options, try to boot with "last known good configuration". If that does not work, if you have a restore point to go back to in system restore, try that also. I do say make sure all hardware is working properly before any further measures.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#10 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

When i say advanced options "Last Known Good Configuration" is not one of them.

I have tried system restore but returns unsuccessful every time.

The only available option left is cmd.

But i don't think you can make the pc run the installation disc from that.

I have taken the hd out and reinstalled windows on the hard drive on another pc which runs just fine but when i put it back into the Toshiba laptop

it still is the same.

It's not heating up so i think the fan or heatsink is not the issue,i still think it might be bad ram.I have reseated the ram but no luck.

#11 cmk_110

cmk_110

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

From what you described it sounds like an issue with Windows, probably some kind of corruption in the operating system.

When it boots into advanced options can you select "disable automatic restart on system failure"? Sometimes the reboot happens so fast that you don't see the blue screen error. If you get a blue screen error try looking up the error code online. The stop code is usually a long number with a few letters like 0x0000000072 or something like that.

Also, you should try creating some sort of boot disk or try getting your computer to boot to an OS installation disk that will allow you to run a command line. SInce you are posting here I'm going to assume you have access to the internet, try googling for Toshiba's boot keyboard keystroke for boot options. Every modern computer almost always has a way of allowing you to interupt the normal boot up process to get to either and alternative boot method or BIOS. You would press the interupt key when the computer first starts.

If you can get to this point and have a boot disk or Operating System Disk you should then try to boot form CD/DVD Rom Drive with the Boot/Repair disk in the drive and if it's the OS disk select the repair my computer option. If the OS disk can't repair it it should still give you the option of getting to a command line where you can run chkdsk. You'll want to run it with the following switches.

c:\chkdsk /f /r

Another useful tool to run from the command line is sfc (system file checker) with the scannow switch

c:\sfc /scannow

This tool will detect and try to fix corrupted system files on your computer

If you are using a non-OS boot disk then just try getting to a command line to run chkdsk

If you see a message that says something about unmounting the drive in order to run the chkdsk respond with yes.

Let  me know if you need additional help.

#12 alanQuin

alanQuin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Would placing this hd in another laptop and wiping with DBan and reinstalling there would that do anything.

It might work for you.

Edited by alanQuin, 04 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#13 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

chkdsk runs and finalises with no errors.

sfc /scannow gives the message "There is a system repair pending restart your windows and run sfc again"

this can't be done as it won't boot to safe mode or Bios without blue screen.

I can't get the error code on blue screen as it is too quick and no key combinations will work.

I think i am running out of options with this.

If i do what is suggested above,will it work or what might be a reason it won't work?

#14 cmk_110

cmk_110

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

chkdsk runs and finalises with no errors.

sfc /scannow gives the message "There is a system repair pending restart your windows and run sfc again"

this can't be done as it won't boot to safe mode or Bios without blue screen.

I can't get the error code on blue screen as it is too quick and no key combinations will work.

I think i am running out of options with this.

If i do what is suggested above,will it work or what might be a reason it won't work?

What is the model of your Toshiba? The model can usually be found on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop or inside the battery compartment.

Also, Do you have the Operating System disk for your system?

#15 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Toshiba Satellite C660D-15H .

Yes i have an Operating Disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users