Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Are There Pop Up's?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rok_Hard_CDN

Rok_Hard_CDN

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

How can the creators of pop-up's possibly think they are generating any business by intruding in on me reading the morning paper online, or checking my bank statement? I'm sure they are well aware of the annoyance they are creating, but I can't help but think that in the back of their minds there is a higher purpose... Anyone have anything to convince me that there is a good in there somewhere, I would be extremely interested.... thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

If popups didn't generate responses and sales, no one would invest the money it takes to do them.

Believe it or not, they generate responses and sales.
Most promise something for "free" - just like email spam.

Just shows how stupid the general public is I guess.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

If your in need of a free blocker program try POW
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:37 PM

Internet Explorer has a built in popup blocker if you have XP's SP2 and appropriate IE updates installed.

If you use Firefox get the extension "Adblock".

Both the Google Toolbar and the Yahoo Toolbar have popup blockers that work well.

#5 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:05 AM

It really is an interesting industry.

I've had popup and spyware problems at one of my jobs that I had to deal with, so I read a few things about the industry. I'll see if I can dig up some of those articles.

Basically, there are companies that manufacture spyware and use it as a vehicle to sell advertising. Mortage bankers and others are very interested in purchasing such advertising.

The reason mortgage bankers pay for it is ... it works. You might not click on it, but several other people will. Even if only .001% of the people who get such advertising click on it, it can still be effective, depending on the price.

I'll try to see if I can dig up those articles.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:26 PM

It's the same reason why you get those unwanted phone sales calls. There's a do not call registry,yet they are still in business.

By the way did you ever hear of Pop Under Ads

Although there has been a great deal of controversy over the use of pop-up windows, the fact remains; pop-up windows are highly effective. The latest pop-window trend to hit the Internet is the pop-under window. Pop-under windows are less intrusive than the pop-up windows and are believed to be even more effective.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users