Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Chooseing a web platform for school project

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fern_Silverthorn

Fern_Silverthorn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

What platform would be best to use for a school web site?
details: I am 16 and have decided to write/create a new website for my school, as the current [pile of webbleep][1] needs to be replace and I need a senior project.
I can program in python (yes I know that would only be helpful if I used django or some kind of python web-framework, which I doubt will fit my needs I only stated it to explain my tech level) I run linux and the server does as well so linux compatibility is a requirement. the site will need a "login" feature that takes the user to a profile page were they can view there weekly logs and write new ones, and view messages left for them by teachers. the main page will be a blogish newsfeed and there should be a sidebar with helpful links. What platform would be best for this? I am considering joomla, any ideas?

[1]: http://pi.ptserv.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Why are you considering Joomla? How does it fulfill your needs better than say, Drupal, or even bulletin board such as IP Board?

#3 Fern_Silverthorn

Fern_Silverthorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't know, as I have never heard of Drupal, as for IP board I want to be able to customize the look mor ethatn that would allow.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

There are MySQL scripts like Pligg and Dolphin that are setup like social networks that you just need to customize to meet your needs. The framework is already done for you.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 08 December 2013 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users