Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardrive error reading please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 artash101

artash101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

I have a hp touchsmart 520 pc and I think my hard drive broke because when I start my computer it says error reading disc c and I cannot enter my computer. I was just wondering if u guys think it would get fixed if I replaced the hard drive of the same kind. Also can you guys please tell me what kind of hard drive I should look for my computer. I need to fix asap. thank you very much. I have also posted pictures of the hard drive.Attached File  picture018.jpg   73.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture018.jpg   73.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture019.jpg   83.3KB   0 downloadsAttached File  picture020.jpg   91.01KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 artash101

artash101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Please reply I need to buy to a hard drive. I just need to know what kind of hard drive. please let me know

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

From what I can see It should be a 3.5" 1Tb SATA hard drive. 7200 RPM.

You have two approaches to the problem. Any hard drive meeting those specifications should work.

Or You could use a SSD Drive with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

The SSD would be much faster, however 1 1TB SSD would cost over $500 to $600

This would be an example Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE1T0BW

This would be another. The 960Gb drive http://www.crucial.com/store/ProductMarketing_m500.aspx

On the other hand a regular, slower, 7200 rpm hard drive would be well under $100

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

You need a SATA drive, other than that your options are pretty wide open.

You can move to a SSD drive if you don't need a lot of space and are interested in speed.  The cost per GB is much higher than a mechanical drive, but the speed difference is worth the cost.  I don't recommend under 120GB for the average user.

If you want to stay with a mechanical drive just pick the size you want and buy it.  You'll find a better price online than you will local.  So, if you can wait a bit longer you can get more drive for less money.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

This computer I'm on right now is the only one, last one, to be converted to SSD. I ordered a 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO as it was fairly reasonable and the Anandtech review seemed positive. I also ordered a 8Gig memory upgrade. 2 x 4Gb. rather than mix a 4Gb with the factory memory. They are both due this week.

artash101 as You can see I'm a big fan of SSD drives. I have used mainly Intel 320 series in the past when they went to a 5 year warranty on them. I have had 0 (Zero) problems, Knock wood. Once You've gone SSD............

This will be my second Samsung and the first that will get a thrashing from heavy use.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 artash101

artash101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

rot

This computer I'm on right now is the only one, last one, to be converted to SSD. I ordered a 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO as it was fairly reasonable and the Anandtech review seemed positive. I also ordered a 8Gig memory upgrade. 2 x 4Gb. rather than mix a 4Gb with the factory memory. They are both due this week.

artash101 as You can see I'm a big fan of SSD drives. I have used mainly Intel 320 series in the past when they went to a 5 year warranty on them. I have had 0 (Zero) problems, Knock wood. Once You've gone SSD............

This will be my second Samsung and the first that will get a thrashing from heavy use.

Roger

ah man i waited for a post for 2 hours and i just went on to amazon and bought the same exact hard drive, it cost me a 100 with shipping. i really should have checked this post. The ssd sounds really good and i dont really download to much stuff nor do i store anything big. i should have gone ssd =[. next time ill make sure to try it your way. thanks for the help i appreciate it

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi

There is one problem with SSD, Once You have put one in and used it. You will want to do a SSD boot drive in every computer You own.

Good Luck with the new drive. I suggest testing it once it arrives. Most likely that will be easy to do since You have a HP

I believe this is Your computer model.

Opening the Computer Setup Utility

Use one of the following methods to open the Computer Setup Utility.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F10 .

To navigate the menus, choose menu screens by pressing the left or right arrow keys. Use the up or down arrow keys to move through the list of items on the menu screen. Press the Enter key to select an item and open a submenu. Then use the left and right arrow keys to modify the settings. Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit from a submenu, or press the Esc key to exit from a submenu without saving the changes.

Then go here and test the drive.

Figure 4: Storage menu

DPS Self-test - Select this to perform a diagnostic test on the hard drive.

I suggest this as it is possible for a new hard drive to arrive damaged due to rough handling during the shipping process.

I suggest strongly that You make no changes in the BIOS setup and only use to test the drive.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 artash101

artash101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi

There is one problem with SSD, Once You have put one in and used it. You will want to do a SSD boot drive in every computer You own.

Good Luck with the new drive. I suggest testing it once it arrives. Most likely that will be easy to do since You have a HP

I believe this is Your computer model.

Opening the Computer Setup Utility

Use one of the following methods to open the Computer Setup Utility.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F10 .

To navigate the menus, choose menu screens by pressing the left or right arrow keys. Use the up or down arrow keys to move through the list of items on the menu screen. Press the Enter key to select an item and open a submenu. Then use the left and right arrow keys to modify the settings. Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit from a submenu, or press the Esc key to exit from a submenu without saving the changes.

Then go here and test the drive.

Figure 4: Storage menu

DPS Self-test - Select this to perform a diagnostic test on the hard drive.

I suggest this as it is possible for a new hard drive to arrive damaged due to rough handling during the shipping process.

I suggest strongly that You make no changes in the BIOS setup and only use to test the drive.

Good Luck

Roger

hey bro, i got my hard drive a couple days ago and it fits and its pretty much the same hard drive as my old one. But i have no idea how to get it to run like normal. i cant manage to get through the setup process. some people say i need to update my bios and others say that i need a windows 7 disk... if u have any clue about what i should do? this new hard drive is getting to be very annoying lol. i was thinking of giving it to a mechanic but im almost done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users