Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with user account ???????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarinG

DarinG

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

I only have one user account (admin) on my computer.  I have guest account enabled for rare other users at my home. I got infected with zero access and have since eradicated it.  My only problem I seem to have left is when I try to load QuickBooks the app hangs .  Spent 4 hours on phone and remote assistance with two levels of tec support from quickbooks, tried everything. still no functioning program.  All other apps seem to work properly. at least all the ones I have tried.  I happened to go to my guest account and was able to load the app, restore my company backup, and all seems to function properly.  I can't understand why this is.  The only clue I can find is error reporting QB has an error message.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        QuickBooks
Date:          11/30/2013 1:11:28 AM
Event ID:      4
Task Category: Error
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Darin-PC
Description:
An unexpected error has occured in "QuickBooks":
Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle

Why will this program work in guest account but not in my account.  The company files are stored in public documents..

Any ideas?????????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

You did uninstall the application...then reinstall it, correct?

Louis

#3 DarinG

DarinG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

un and re- install , uninstall then ran QB clean uninstall and re-install, uninatall with Revo-uninstaller then re-installed.  Tried everything we could think of. I can get the program to start, load my preferences, ask to restore or open existing company file, at that point the program freezes and stops responding. However if indicated from the guest profile it loads, functions , saves and closes properly.  No ownership or special privilages to any of the files being used issues (checked there also)  I'm just stumped. 

Any ideas???????????

Edited by DarinG, 02 December 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

My guess would be...a corrupt/damaged user profile, in light of all that you've stated.

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

May not be a "fix" but won't hurt anything to go this route.

Louis

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just a thought, but do you really trust a machine that used to be infected with your finances?

I'm not a fan of cleaning a machine.  Once a machine has been infected you can no longer trust anything it tells you.  Best to back up your data, nuke (Darik's Boot and Nuke - DBAN) and repave.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm not a fan of cleaning a machine.  Once a machine has been infected you can no longer trust anything it tells you

This statement basically is inaccurate.  One of the busiest forums here at Bleeping Computer are the Security forums where our highly trained Malware Removal Teem members and other knowledgeable members clean computers of infections so that you can use it again with total confidence that it is clean.  It is rare that a type of infection is found which will require wiping the hdd and doing a fresh installation of the operating system.  I hope this helps you understand that infections can be resolved. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DarinG

DarinG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users