Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Remove Spywarequake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ihatespywarequake

ihatespywarequake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

I got spywarequake on my computer recently, followed the automatic removal instructions and it appeared to be gone (no more recurring messages appeared in my systray). About a week later, after leaving my computer on over night, I woke up and about 20 internet explorer windows were open and spywarequake had returned with its irritating "virus alert - your computer is infected! Critical system error! System detected virus activities..." message reappearing every few minutes. I again followed the automatic removal instructions but this time the systray icon/message remained. I followed the manual remove instructions but it remained (I found, renamed and ultimately removed xenadot.dl [but none of the other 3 .dll files mentioned]l in my system 32 folder). I began to repeat the manual remove process but when I found none of the 4 .dll files mentioned in my system 32 folder I stopped and came here. Is there anything to be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ihatespywarequake

ihatespywarequake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:01 AM

Here are the results of running getsts.exe:

(GetSTS.exe) SharedTaskScheduler exporter by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright© 2006 BleepingComputer.com

(HKLM) {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - Browseui preloader => %SystemRoot%\system32\browseui.dll

(HKLM) {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - Component Categories cache daemon => %SystemRoot%\system32\browseui.dll

(HKCU) {CA14EE13-ED15-C4A2-17FF-DA4D15C1BC5E} - Twain => C:\WINDOWS\system32\twain32.dll

In my original post I said "I began to repeat the manual remove process but when I found none of the 4 .dll files mentioned" in fact I found none of the 5 .dll files mentioned. In addition: After finding and removing xenadot.dll I did not find any of the other 4 mentioned.

#3 ihatespywarequake

ihatespywarequake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

twain32.dll appears to have been the culprit. the automatic and manual remove instructions ought to be supplemented with the .dll files listed at this forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/50869/spyfalcona-new-version-perhaps/

which solved the problem for me.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

Glad to hear the problem was resolved. Thanks for sharing the resolution with us.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users