Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8/8.1 On A Blank Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm getting really confused.  I upgraded from Win7 to Win8 and then to 8.1.  Having a problem in 8.1 and decided to go back to Win 8 and start clean.  I have one of the $40.00 upgrade licenses and was able to go back to Win8 and a clean install.  I figured this would remove all Win 8.1 files and clean install Win 8 but I was wrong.  In the original Win 8 I had some Big Fish games installed which of course continued onto Win 8.1.  After doing a clean install of Win 8 I found a couple of Big Fish game folders on the C drive.  I deleted them. After Win 8 was up and running I upgraded once again to 8.1.  First thing I noticed when I had the desktop opened a theme that I had installed in the previous 8.1 showed up.  When I opened the change PC settings I was startled to see the lock screen picture and account picture were the same as what I had been using in the previous 8.1.  Apparently my definition of a clean install and Microsoft's definition are different as 8.1 installed settings that were used in the previous 8.1.  I wanted a totally clean install of Win 8 with no files or settings held over from any previous installation but that didn't happen and it even remembered stuff from the 8.1 installation. 

Getting pretty irritated I figured the only way out would be to completly wipe the SSD and start all over with a clean slate.  Windows 8 upgrade version will not allow an install to a clean disk and will only install as an upgrade to Win 7 (if I understand what I have read).  I figured I'd buy a full version of Win 8.1 but when I looked on the Microsoft site it says "Win 8.1 full version ($119.99 option) is for Win7 users only.  Running Vista or XP?  First upgrade to Win 8."  Is Windows 8 or 8.1 available in any format other than an upgrade?  Is there a full version that can be installed on a new, blank hard drive?

At the moment it looks like my only avenue to do what I want to do is to install Win7 onto the blank disk and then use the upgrade to Win 8.  I'm retired and have a lot of time to putter around but I don't want to go through the hassle of installing Win 7 and proceeding from there.

Edit:  Hmmmmm I just now found a September 2013 article that says "Microsoft relents and the full version of 8.1 can be installed on a blank disk".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/17/windows_81_full_version_software/

Edited by Zcar, 01 December 2013 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yes, this is confusing. I bought one of the $39.95 Windows 8 "upgrades" from Microsoft, downloaded the .iso file, burned a disk, and clean installed it on my system. No problems.

Then, when Windows 8.1 came out, I went through the final update process for 8 then went to the Microsoft Store and upgraded to 8.1 through them. Again, no problem

I experimented with dual-booting Win 7 and Win 8. I had a disk with my main Win 7 setup on it. I cleared off the back 200GB and clean installed Win 8 then upgraded that through the store, again - same hardware, so no activation problems.

Microsoft, initially did not allow a clean install of 8.1; you had to upgrade through the store. They now allow a clean install from Microsoft media or from a downloaded .iso file if purchased from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users