Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help making Identification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Re Vista. In the registry file under Software, there are several listings of WorksShoebox.Shoebox. Can something like this be deleted?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Do you see Shoebox or escWorks in the Uninstall programs portion of the Control Panel?

This is software used in educational institutes to keep track of students progress.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. There are loads of this in my wife's registry and it figures because our grandson porbably is the reason it's on there because he was taking college courses at the time. No, it isn't on the list of programs/.

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Is there any reason why Shoebox entries cannot be deleted from the registry?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

If the program has already been uninstalled from the Control Panel there probably isn't any reason it can't be deleted from the registry.  But the space it is taking up is infinitesimal and really isn't worth going after.  You read about people suggesting that you "clean" your registry or optimize it in order to get the "best" performance, these people are trying to sell a product.  Most people who know what is going on consider this type of product to be snake oil.  Just to put this into perspective with Bleeping Computer's view on registry cleaners and optimizers I've post what Animal, one of our Site Administrators, has posted in the past.  Please note the section which I underlined.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Edited by dc3, 04 December 2013 - 09:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

If the program has already been uninstalled from the Control Panel there probably isn't any reason it can't be deleted from the registry.  But the space it is taking up is infinitesimal and really isn't worth going after.  You read about people suggesting that you "clean" your registry or optimize it in order to get the "best" performance, these people are trying to sell a product.  Most people who know what is going on consider this type of product to be snake oil.  Just to put this into perspective with Bleeping Computer's view on registry cleaners and optimizers I've post what Animal, one of our Site Administrators, has posted in the past.  Please note the section which I underlined.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

I understand that and apparently, a lot of people do jump for those things because there are a lot of them which means there is a big market for it, kinda like gas stations. I just don't know what direction to follow because there is plenty of space left and it doesn't look like there are any programs in the control panel that are slowing the machine down. It's probably something very minor. Since the machine is about 5 years old, I'm going to take it apart and clean it since I don't hear the fans running and I understand if the computer overheats, it can cause a lot of problems. I'll let ou know how I make out. I think I will post a list of the programs on here and maybe there is something I am missing. Thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

By the way, you don't need to quote my posts. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users