Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 taraparker101

taraparker101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hello, my screen on my Dell studio laptop goes black when I'm working. You can see the impression of the page I was on faintly and the computer does not shut off. When I close the screen, let it fall into sleep mode, and pull it up again, the screen comes alive again and I can continue working. Other people have responded to this problem saying it could be a screen or cable problem...er but I don't know how to diagnose to find out what exactly is the problem to fix it. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

The faint image is usually a back light issue.  If you actually have to close the screen, and not just wiggle it, the back light is most likely the problem.  If wiggling it brings it back it is an issue with the cable.  In any case, the fix is to replace the LCD panel.  If the unit is under warranty that would be the route to go.

If the unit isn't under warranty you have some decisions to make.

1.  You can replace the panel yourself, not too difficult for most laptops.  The cost of the panel may be an issue.

2.  You can use an external monitor.

3.  Replace the laptop.

#3 taraparker101

taraparker101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Thank you, this is good advice. What's odd is when I took it to a family member to check out it never black out the whole time we were on (almost 2 hours). Hmmm we will see what happens.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Intermittent problems are the worst.  Thankfully they normally get worse so they are obvious or they go away.

If it is still under warranty I'd try and get it replaced.  If it is no longer under warranty wait until it is a major issue.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

What is the model of this Dell?

Would you be comfortable disassembling the laptop to physically check the ribbon connector?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 taraparker101

taraparker101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

What is the model of this Dell?

Would you be comfortable disassembling the laptop to physically check the ribbon connector?

Yes, I feel comfortable disassembling and would love to check it myself, however I'm not sure what to look for. How may I find it the ribbon connector is working?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

I need the model of this Dell in order to find you a video for accessing the ribbon cable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users