Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing because of hardware?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman2424

Iceman2424

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

I built one of my computers years ago. Since then I have built myself a new computer and gave my old one to my son. The old computer has run decently up until now. Suddenly it started freezing up almost immediately after starting windows. I tried working on it but time and time again it kept freezing thus making it impossible to work on. So I decided to reinstall windows. I completely formated the hard drive and proceeded to install windows. During the finalization of the install of windows it started freezing again. So I figure it must be a bad piece of hardware. Does anyone have any idea what could have gone bad, or have any ideas of what I can do to fix it? 

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I built one of my computers years ago. Since then I have built myself a new computer and gave my old one to my son. The old computer has run decently up until now. Suddenly it started freezing up almost immediately after starting windows. I tried working on it but time and time again it kept freezing thus making it impossible to work on. So I decided to reinstall windows. I completely formated the hard drive and proceeded to install windows. During the finalization of the install of windows it started freezing again. So I figure it must be a bad piece of hardware. Does anyone have any idea what could have gone bad, or have any ideas of what I can do to fix it? 

Thanks for your help

I had this exact problem happen to me a couple of years ago. When I took it to the shop, the answer that came back was a bad motherboard. One thing to do would be, if you can boot into windows at all and play a video or sound clip on repeat and wait for the problem to occur. If the sound freezes or starts skipping like a scratched CD, you can probably rule out the graphic hardware. After that, if you're comfortable, you could burn yourself a bootable Linux DVD and start it in the affected machine. If the problem occurs there as well, you can pretty safely rule out a bad hard disk. Another thing to do is to boot into Windows safe mode, just to see what happens there, but it's unlikely to be Windows itself causing the issue since you said you did a fresh install.

Edited by Briany, 01 December 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for your help

I would suggest running the harddrive utility provided on the manufactures website ,I suspect the hdd

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Iceman2424

Iceman2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'll see what I can do with both of your ideas and let you know what happens.

#5 Iceman2424

Iceman2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for your help

I had this exact problem happen to me a couple of years ago. When I took it to the shop, the answer that came back was a bad motherboard. One thing to do would be, if you can boot into windows at all and play a video or sound clip on repeat and wait for the problem to occur. If the sound freezes or starts skipping like a scratched CD, you can probably rule out the graphic hardware. After that, if you're comfortable, you could burn yourself a bootable Linux DVD and start it in the affected machine. If the problem occurs there as well, you can pretty safely rule out a bad hard disk. Another thing to do is to boot into Windows safe mode, just to see what happens there, but it's unlikely to be Windows itself causing the issue since you said you did a fresh install.

I'm not sure what Linux is or how to get it. Could you give me more information about it please?

#6 Briany

Briany

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure what Linux is or how to get it. Could you give me more information about it please?

Well, it's just another operating system but it's free. Here's a link to 'Linux Mint' and it comes in 64 bit or 32 bit flavours. The download is about 700 MB but there are many smaller types of Linux you can download, like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. From there you can burn the downloaded disc image to a writable DVD with a program like ImgBurn, load the DVD into the disc drive of affected machine and go into the motherboard BIOS and tell it to boot from the disc drive rather than the hard disk like it normally would. After that, it should boot into Linux directly off the disc. Alternatively, if that sounds like too much, you could just go into the BIOS and let it sit there a while. If it freezes up there, you'll have a good idea you're looking at a motherboard problem. I don't think bad memory causes that kind of problem in the BIOS but I await to be told I'm wrong. :)

Edited by Briany, 02 December 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Seems to me that ...before I made any decisions of how to correct...I'd try to find out why it's freezing.  Can be caused by any number of items, with overheating being the most obvious.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users