Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandboxie or Returnil ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I have used Sandboxie for years, never had any problems and very few minor infections - most likely by having to use an unsandboxed browser at times.

I know little about Returnil, other than from browsing the web. I do have the impression that Returnil is more complex and not so user friendly.

It also apparently operates on a different principle to Sandboxie, which I do not quite understand. But the general message I do get is that Returnil is very good and offers a safe virtual environment in which to operate.

I know this can get a bit hairy, but I would appreciate a layman's description of the two operating principles and some constructive comments from users with experience of these programs.

The bottom line is - Which is best ? Returnil or Sandboxie ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

I have always lived with the philosophy that if it ain't broke, don't fix. If you have been quite happy with Sandboxie, what is your rational to change? Just as you have experienced, the only time I have had bad bugs is when I did not Sandbox, enough said. For me, Sandboxie works ,is easy to use and understand...there you have one person's two cents...

#3 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have always lived with the philosophy that if it ain't broke, don't fix. If you have been quite happy with Sandboxie, what is your rational to change? Just as you have experienced, the only time I have had bad bugs is when I did not Sandbox, enough said. For me, Sandboxie works ,is easy to use and understand...there you have one person's two cents...

It is a very rational point and probably the main decider.

My interest is purely technical curiosity and hopefully if the thread develops, that aspect will be explained.

But there has recently been a change to the Sandboxie license agreements and as a result, quite a few Sandboxie customers are unhappy and may be looking to change.

I had that in mind when raising this thread.

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ah...good point...and an excellent reason for the thread. Hopefully others will deposit their two cents and I think I shall look into Returnil. Thanks for the heads up!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

I am not sure how many members here at BC use Returnil. If no one else replies, you can read user comments at the Official Returnil Support Forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

I am not sure how many members here at BC use Returnil. If no one else replies, you can read user comments at the Official Returnil Support Forum.

I tried that link and got Wilders Security Forum.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yes, Wilders is the Official Returnil Support Forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users