Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Access Point issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A_Shepherd

A_Shepherd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

I need some serious help because this is making me crazy. I have read a hundred different "guides", but to no avail.

My Sky SR101 router is my main router in my house. However, there is a Wifi deadspot in an upstairs room that I need covered. I already have a Cat5 cable going from the SR101 to the upstairs room ready for a wired connection, but I need wireless coverage instead.

What I am attempting to do is place a wireless access point there, using a Tenda W311R+ connected to the SR101 through that Cat5 cable.

SR101 details:

LAN IP: 192.168.0.1

DHCP range: 192.169.0.11 - 192.168.0.254

I connected the Tenda W311R+ to a laptop that had no other internet connection, updated the firmware to the latest version, then changed its LAN IP to 192.168.0.2 and disabled the DHCP server, ensuring the security settings are the same and UPnP is disabled. I kept the SSID different so I could know which connection was being made on each device.

After connecting the W311R+ to the SR101 via the Cat5, I power cycled both routers. Devices can see the W311R+ as broadcasting a signal, but they cannot connect to it - it won't even get to the stage of asking for a network key in order to complete the connection.

I connected a laptop with a cable to the Tenda router, logged into the admin to see if the settings were as I had left them (which they were), and tried pinging the Sky router while the Tenda was still connected to the Sky router, but it would not go through.

The LAN ports on the Tenda recognise the connection from the Sky router, as the LED light blinks rapidly. The WAN port on the Tenda is empty.

Why isn't this working? All guides say the same thing.

Please help me. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

It sounds like it should work. Have you plugged a computer into the CAT5 cable to make sure it's working? I know the lights blink but it's an easy test. The only thing that comes to mind if the Cat5 cable is fine is an address issue. Double check the addresses and subnet masks. The 192.168.0.X is in the same subnet if the mask is 255.255.255.0 on both. And I am reading that it's LAN port to LAN port right?

I'd get it all working wired first then tackle wireless. And start the wireless without security and once you know it works add security. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 A_Shepherd

A_Shepherd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

It sounds like it should work. Have you plugged a computer into the CAT5 cable to make sure it's working? I know the lights blink but it's an easy test. The only thing that comes to mind if the Cat5 cable is fine is an address issue. Double check the addresses and subnet masks. The 192.168.0.X is in the same subnet if the mask is 255.255.255.0 on both. And I am reading that it's LAN port to LAN port right?

I'd get it all working wired first then tackle wireless. And start the wireless without security and once you know it works add security. 

If I plug the LAN cable from the Sky router into a laptop. the laptop identifies the connection and connects to the internet in seconds. So the cable seems to be fine.

I have removed all security on the Tenda router and double checked addresses. The subnet masks are the same.

The cables are LAN to LAN for definite. I've disconnected and reconnected them several times, and tried many reboots, just to be sure.

A laptop connected to the Tenda router via cable cannot ping the Sky router for some reason. If that was working then it would have meant it was a wireless issue, but unfortunately it hasn't even managed to work with a wire.

Any ideas?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Please check the Tenda pdf manual for the WDS (page 35) mode for Bridge or Repeater.

Tekken

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

What is the default gateway in the Trenda? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users