Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Better CPU or more RAM in laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rohandasean

rohandasean

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

I am going to buy a new laptop and have shortlisted two.

The first one : Lenovo Essential G505s (59-380146)

CPU : APU Quad Core A10 5750M (2.5 GHz with Turbo Core Technology Upto 3.5 GHz)

RAM : 8GB

GPU : 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 8650G (Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Sunpro HD 8570 Graphics (Dedicated)

The second one : HP Pavilion 15-E016TX

CPU : Core i5 (3rd Generation) 3230M (2.6 GHz with Turbo Boost Upto 3.2 GHz)

RAM : 4Gb

GPU : 2GB AMD Mobility Radeon HD 8670M

As you can see, the graphics are nearly the same except that the second one has a better CPU compared to the first one which has more RAM.

Would be using it for a little high-end gaming with games like Protoype 2, Dishonored, COD, FIFA14 and a few demanding image processing apps like MATLAB.

So for the above requirements should I go for more RAM or a better CPU ?

Also are there any major disadvantages of having DOS ? Windows can be easily installed later right ?

Thanks for the help ! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Coder Bob

Coder Bob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Do these have solid state drives? If not I would consider the Samsung 840 pro. Response time is on average four times faster than a spindle drive.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi, if its for gaming purpose then the Lenovo would be the better choice has having a dedicated graphics card is bettee then using Intel's integrated graphics.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

killerx525 both machines have dedicated graphics cards.

If the these are the choices I'd go with the 8GB of RAM.

If it were me I'd get the HP and upgrade the RAM later.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.

At 4GB you're not going to be happy with MATLAB.

#5 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hi, if its for gaming purpose then the Lenovo would be the better choice has having a dedicated graphics card is bettee then using Intel's integrated graphics.

Both are dedicated ! None have the Intel graphics ;)

#6 rohandasean

rohandasean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

If it were me I'd get the HP and upgrade the RAM later.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.

Thanks a lot for the help ! :)

I found another great laptop with the same config as Lenevo.

AMD A10/1TB/win8 and 8GB RAM with a 1GB AMD 8650 + 8670

So comparing it with the earlier HP one my question remains the same, how much difference would that Intel CPU make over lesser RAM ?

The AMD lappies cost around 38K (INR).

The Intel one costs 44K + 3K(to extend RAM to 4GB), so I'll have to shell 10K more. Would the AMD laptop falter a lot or would they be enough to run MATLAB smoothly ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help !

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hmm, may have missed it when reading the thread, my apologies :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

RAM, up to about 8GB, will be a better investment (if you don't plan on upgrading) than CPU as RAM will be the bottleneck.  If you don't have enough RAM then the data is written to the hard drive's page file.

Personally I prefer Intel.  The general rule is Intel for Power, AMD for Price.

If you're not planning on upgrading the RAM later, in the near future, go for the AMD with more RAM.  If you think you can upgrade the RAM later go with the Intel.  I highly recommend Crucial, not only for their product, but their memory advisor will tell you how much RAM you can put in your machine and if it needs to be install in a specific configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users