Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmenting broke my comp????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyK3nn3dy

KrazyK3nn3dy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I had not defragmented my computer in a while and Im not sure why Windows hadn't done it for me. It is still scheduled for every Wednesday at 1 am. When i manually ran the defrag myself(15% was fragmented out of 600GB, I'm only using 20%), it took over 12 hours and was still on pass one. So I looked into other alternatives. I stumbled across Defraggler. I ran that and it discovered that there was 17% fragmentation and it would take over a day to perform. I decided to just deal with having to wait, so I ran the defrag. I left it run over night, switching the power settings to performance and even double checked to be sure that the monitor and HD would not shut down for any reason.

When I checked on it in the morning (7 hours later), I found that it had frozen. Tried cntrl+alt+del and got no response. So I had to power off the tower by pressing the power button. Tried running it again when I actually had time to check up on it, and it ran for about 12 hours before freezing again. Mind you, it was making progress, I was down to 12% fragmentation at this time. I powered it down yet again and decided that I would let windows do the next one since I had never had problems with it. It displayed 6% fragmentation and within an hour had finished.

I then analyzed with Defraggler because I had read that it picks up other files that the Windows defrag will not (e.x.- >64MB). Well, it showed that it was 8%fragmented and that it would take 4 hours to defrag. So I ran it, and 6 hours later it said 4 hours still, but it was still making progress. By this time it was 2 am and I was tired, so I set an alarm to check on it.

I woke up at 8 am and checked on it, all I had was a black screen and the monitor stating that it had no signal, but the computer was still on. So I played with the video cord, tried a different monitor, tried a different cord, tried hooking it up to the motherboard videocard, tried pulling the bios battery for 10min, tried F8, F9, and F11. It seems to boot up normally (dvd drive blinks, all fans start up, etc.) but it will not send a video signal. There are no beeps coming from the motherboard speaker and no noise from the regular speakers.

I can not find the OS disk and had not been given or made backup disks. I do have the OS disk somewhere but we had recently moved, so it may take a while to find. I also tried opening the disk drive and it will open but then shuts itself right away. Also, I can not even get to the bios so any help to get me to a previous restore point or anything would be great.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. - Im using my macbook right now, so if that helps in anyway.

EDIT: I installed a new video card that I know works, and same problem.. It just boggles my mind that a defrag could harm your computer, nobody seems to believe that it can. Also, the computer was not connected to any network during the defrag processes, if that also helps.

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2013 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KrazyK3nn3dy

KrazyK3nn3dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

So far I have had PSU, motherboard, or HD problem suggested to me. Anything else I should look at? Im reseating the RAM shortly after this post, I will post if anyhting changes.

#3 KrazyK3nn3dy

KrazyK3nn3dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Unplugged unneeded accessories and removed then reinserted RAM. It worked. Not sure if a PSU problem because I now have everything plugged in again and I put it under a lot of stress as a test and its still running.. so maybe it was the RAM? not sure but it's up and running again..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users