Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belarc Advisor's SMART feature

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ledyard

Ledyard

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S desktop purchased May 2008.  Rubbing or grinding noises on start-up had me concerned so I ran Belarc to get its report.  The report said my hard drive is "Healthy."

The noise hasn't gone away so I still have a problem but can I believe that the hard drive is not the problem? 

Thanks for any help or responses.

Ledyard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi, It could be the hard drive, Other options are:

If the noise is only there on a cold start and goes away shortly, it could be a fan with a bad (Dry) bearing.

If there is a disk left in the CD/DVD drive it could be coming from there.

The way to pin it down is when the computer is cold try opening it and then turn it on. See if You can pin the noise source down. One way to tell if it is a fan going bad is before You turn on the computer use Your fingers to prevent it from spinning, Then power on and see if the noise is gone. If not repeat. I believe You computer has two fans as well as a fan in the power supply.

For the Power supply fan use something non conductive like a wood pencil stuck just far enough into the power supply grill to keep the fan blades from turning.

Always stop the fans before applying power to prevent damage to the fan or Your fingers.

Main causes of noise when turning on a computer that go away after a few minutes is a bad fan bearing.

There are a limited amount of parts in a computer that have moving parts and can cause noise. These are Hard Drive, CD/DVD drive and Cooling fans.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Ledyard

Ledyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, Roger, for a clear yet detailed procedure which I will use tomorrow when when computer is cold from shut-off.  Even though you say it could be the hard drive, I am feeling better about my problem.

Ledyard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users