Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couple questions about new graphics card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have an old build my wife uses for web sufing, email, very basic online games; she's getting a new monitor for Christmas but she doesn't know it yet.

Mobo is 

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Win7 64, 4gb memory.& just using the onboard graphics currently.

2 questions -

1) is there a graphics card out there thats affordable (around 50 bones) that would make much of an improvement over the onboard graphics?  all the expansion slots on the Mobo are available.

2)  the new monitor has DVI & HDMI inputs;  if the new card has HDMI out does that give better performance than the DVI connection?

thanks for any suggestions

BruT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

1.  Pretty much anything somewhat modern is better than that, but take special note of the power requirements for the graphics card and make sure your power supply can handle it.  If you have an $80 budget, you can get a recent Radeon 7000 card, but for about $50-ish, the XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB would work.  Your computer needs to have a 400W PSU.

2.  DVI and HDMI are both digital and use HDCP.  You can use either, but, HDMI also transmits audio.  If you don't need audio being sent to the monitor, DVI would work well.

3939.png

#3 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the response DJBPace07.

The lower priced card you suggested is PCI Express 2.1 x16 -   my motherboard slot says its PCI Express 2.0 x16.

Would PCI Express 2.1 x16 work with my motherboard?

BruT

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

yes it will work

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

PCI Express cards are backwards compatible, so a 2.1 will work in a 1.0 or 2.0.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users