Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hoping to build a PC and wondering if I'm looking at right parts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patriotace

patriotace

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

I am, as the title states, hoping to build my own PC, but I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I am looking at all of the correct parts.

I know most of the basics of PCs and what is needed for a PC (CPU (or APU), Motherboard, RAM, HDD/SSD, PSU, Graphics card, cooling, etc.) I have picked out parts, and I believe they are compatible, but not sure if they would do what I want and be the best I can get for my price range ($500-$550 sans monitor, keyboard, and mouse.)

Basically what I want the PC to do is be able to compile the occasional C, C++ program, be good for programming in HTML/Python (should be fine), do some graphics every now and again (using GIMP/Inkscape/Blender), play Minecraft, Wolfenstein:ET and maybe even CS:GO with OKish FPS. As well as being a general all around good PC.

I have read several building guides (especially by LifeHacker, love those guys) and they seem to have what I have for the most part, but I'm not sure if what I have is correct.

There are a couple items (CPU cooler and a graphics card along with a few other minor items like internet adapters) that I, being new to this, don't know if I would need them.

Here's the list:

•  CPU: AMD A8-6600K AD660KWOHLBOX
  •  Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H -
  • Bundled w. CPU for about $20 less on NewEgg - Should I look at anything else?

•  CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0605  -
  • Not sure if I need one at all, just put it on the list to be safe.

•  RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX 12GB - Could go with 8GB or 10GB, unless it would interfere with what I want to do

•  HDD (for storage): Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Seagate ST1000DM003)

•  SSD (for faster access with programs): A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (A-Data ASP600S3-64GM-C)

•  Case: Apex TX-606-U3 MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply - Comes with PSU, so that should cut PSU out I think, correct?

•  Op Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

•  PSU: 300W comes with case

•  Graphics Card: None - Do I need one? The CPU is really an APU (CPU/GPU mix) so I didn't think I'd need one. I have read that you need one for gaming, so would I? And would I be better off with just a CPU (not an APU) and a graphics card for the same/similar price?

Basically, my questions are:

1. Does this build look compatible and is it the best I should look for for my price range.

2. Does this build look like it should be good from programming (compiling C/C++, running python scripts)

3. Does this build look like it can run virtualization OK (Vbox w. Windows)

4. Does this build look like it can run Minecraft and some games with OK FPS (20+ at least)

Sorry for the very long post. I want to get this right the first time around, as I don't have money to burn.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

1.  It looks reasonable, it certainly isn't spectacular.  If you can, you may want to increase your budget to allow for better, more powerful hardware.

2.  For programming, it should work fine.

3.  Virtualization uses a great deal of RAM, so you should get as much as you can.  You may also want to see if you can get a better CPU.

4.  I have never ran Minecraft so I'm unfamiliar as to how it uses hardware.  You may need an add-in graphics card, but to do that, you will need a better power supply, and if you're going to do all this, you may just want to wait and increase your budget to allow for an FX-based system.

On another note, you will need to budget for Windows.  APU's are good for basic gaming and normal day-to-day tasks, but go beyond that, and you may need a drop-in card.

3939.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Get a bigger SSD drive.  You'll spend most of your time trying to make space on a 64GB drive.  I'd recommend nothing smaller than 120GB.

#4 patriotace

patriotace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

@DKBPace07:

1. I didn't have the cash this Black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I am going to be waiting and saving for another year, earning some extra cash over the summer, so that should increase my budget some.

2. Glad I got something right! That makes sense, as most of my programs run fine on my 1GB RAM, Core Duo, 7 yr old laptop. (Now you see why I need a new PC)

3. I think I'm going to stick with about 10-12GB of RAM, as I won't be doing too much virtualization, maybe none at all.

4. I will look into getting a GPU. What should I look at? I don't really need a gaming-style rig, just a nice and fast PC (like I said in the original post)

Because of all these changes I'm going to have to make in the design, any idea what Motherboard I should look at (eg. MicroATX, MiniATX, FullATX?)

Thanks!

Edited by patriotace, 09 December 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

The motherboard options you list, (MicroATX, MiniATX, FullATX) are really sizes and depend on the case you'll be using.  Since you're not making a home theatre machine you can probably go with a FullATX to have more expansion slots, options, and features.

Normally I recommend picking the CPU you want to run, then picking a motherboard that has the features you want.  I also recommend spending as much on your video card as you do your CPU.

Since you're now talking about a year out you should probably wait until you get closer as everything is going to change in that time.  I put my machine together in August 2012 and most of the parts are discontinued.  The cost at the time was about $2,500, so we're not talking bottom rung parts.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

You don't need to spend a lot of money on this PC, about $800 or so.  Unless you get a large high performance graphics card, a mid-ATX case with a standard ATX motherboard would be great.  We could easily suggest parts for a PC right now, but if you wait more a couple of months, there may be newer hardware for the same price or reduced prices which would alter our suggestions.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users