Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice to buy processor.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rabisankar

rabisankar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi Guys, I have planned to buy a new computer. But I dont have any idea which processor to buy between Intel i3-3rd gen and Amd Fx 6350. I want to play game actually. Please suggest me Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Tom's Hardware > System Builder Marathon, Q3 2013: $650 Gaming PC

Tom's Hardware > Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: November 2013

#3 grogz

grogz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hey Rabi,

First, let's start with a comparison between an i3 (there are different types of i3 though, so some may be better/worse than the one in this link) and the AMD FX-6350 : http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-6350

As you can see there the AMD is rated a little bit better in certain synthetic benchmarks. But in real world applications (especially games), Intel tends to do a bit better.

Most games are coded to use 1, 2, or 4 threads. The performance per thread is generally higher for Intel processors, so even though the AMD processor has 2 more threads,(4 threads for Intel, 6 for AMD) they won't get used by many games. And if it comes down to a game using 4 Intel threads or 4 AMD threads, the Intel will come out ahead every time.

The benchmarks are programmed to use 8 or more threads, so that's why the AMD processor seems to do better, but in the real world where not so many threads are usually utilized, the i3 will do better. So that's why there's a difference in benchmark vs real world performance.

So I would go with the i3! I hope that made sense! :)

And by the way, if you could swing an i5 processor instead of the i3, that would be awesome. I have an older i5 (Sandy Bridge 2400) and it runs all of my games great.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Try to get the cheapest i5

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Get a K series chip so if you wan to OC you can, non K chips cannot be OC'ed

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 rabisankar

rabisankar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Thanks everyone your advices means a lot to me. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users