Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bfg Tech Graphics Card Comparison

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GTX versus BFG Tech GeForce 7900 GT

Differences between these cards? Aside from about $200, I can't see any. What does everyone think? Which is the better all around card?

I thought of making this a poll, but with only 2 options it would be pretty limited.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:45 AM

The 7900GT is all around better. It has slightly better performance, needs less power and runs cooler.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

From what I've read on the internet, I agree with Mr Alpha.

However, if I was looking at buying one of these cards, I'd ask myself if the difference in price is worth difference in performance.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

However, if I was looking at buying one of these cards, I'd ask myself if the difference in price is worth difference in performance.

I'd say "without a doubt" considering the 7900GT is $200 cheaper.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 04 May 2006 - 07:14 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

Ok, I think I figured out the difference. The 7800GTX has VIVO.

But that leads to what the question; "What is VIVO?" :thumbsup:

And is it worth $200 :flowers:

- Arlo Guthrie

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

VIVO is nVidia's technology for DVD playback (correct me if I'm wrong), you really don't need it. The 7900GT is better than the 7800GTX, all benchmarks show that the 7900GT blew the 7800GTX out of the water. And what Mr Alpha said.

Edited by legoman786, 04 May 2006 - 11:36 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

Trust me on this: The 7800GTX is not more expensive because it is a better card. And no, you will not be able to find any justification to spend the $200 extra on it.

#8 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

Well that settles that. VIVO = Not worth $200

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

- Arlo Guthrie