Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flicking on screen and noise in my laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 princ3

princ3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have a 4 year old Compac CQ61-410US Notebook. The flicking problem happens in Chrome and Internet Explorer and if I play the games that came with the computer. When I hit enter, space bar and other things it will stop for a while but then it is back. Interesting note it has not done it once since I have been on this site!

The noise is new  and it make me very nervous. No sound should be coming from this thing insides.  Well maybe a little but I do not want to hear it running this loud. Is my hard drive about to die?
On a personal note I am as old as dirt and every thing I buy I have to think will I live to use it. Should I just go and have everything downloaded to a new computer or is this pain something I can take of? I have had some other problems and have been able to fix it with help from this fabulous site

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

First of all, welcome to BC. See, it's a great site, your problem has gone away already !

On a more serious note, what sort of noise is it ?  Sort of a fan whirring noise, or is there an element of click to it ?  There are three things I would do as a precaution / check.

First off, back up my data - work, photos, music, that sort of stuff. Depending on how much you have, you can use anything from a USB stick to an external USB hard drive. But back it up, just in case you do have a hard drive problem.

Secondly, run chkdsk /r on you hard drive. You do this by opening the Command prompt which you will find at 'Start / Programs / Accessories'. RIGHT click on 'Command prompt' and select 'Run as administrator' in the drop-down box that appears. This will produce a black window with white text. Just type 'chkdsk /r' (Note - there is a space between 'chkdsk' and '/r') and press enter. You will then get a message saying it cannot run, do you wish to run at next boot Y / N. Type 'Y' (= Yes) and press enter, then reboot your computer. Chkdsk will run when it starts up.

Dependiing on the size of your hard drive and the speed of your processor, this may well take upwards of an hour, don't turn your computer off until it has finished. It will then tell you if there are any faulty sectors on your hard drive.

Thirdly I would download, install and run a little program called 'Speccy', you can get it here :

Speccy

The noise may be nothing to do with your hard drive. You say your computer is four years old, you will be surprised how much dust and dirt can accumulate in that time and this will make the fan work much harder to keep temperatures down. Speccy will tell you far more than you want to know about the hardware on your computer - but it will tell you some important temperatures. On a laptop, the CPU should not exceed about 50 - 60C, the motherboard should be around 30 - 40C, as should the hard drive. These temperatures are after it has been in use for about an hour or so.

If anything seems out of line, or you just want somebody to have a look at it, it is very easy to generate a report from Speccy. The method is that the report itself is stored on their server and you get a link which you can paste into a post here. There is no personal data included in the report. And if chkdsk shows up any errors on the hard drive, post back as well for more advice.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users