Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rintone

Rintone

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

So, i noticed my computer started getting slow and tried following this guide---->http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

However i still get some problems while playing music/videos on sites like Tumblr and Youtube or when Skype is open. I mainly have problem with those, Skype for some unknown reason takes a lot of time to load and usually shows things like "not responding" before actually opening.

My OS is Windows 7 home premium and i got like 97GB of space available.

Can someone please help me understand what's the problem? =(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Have you checked the temperatures for overheating?

Have you cleaned the comp with Ccleaner or other program?

Have you defragged....you say you have 97GB of free space....but what is the size of the hdd?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype? How to uninstall: How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype for Windows desktop?

Be sure that Skype is completely shut down before attempting to uninstall:  How can I make sure that Skype is no longer running?

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Check for adware using these two programs.  If they find adware, post the logs back here.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Do an online scan for malware using Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner  Post the results of the scan if it finds anything.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Rintone

Rintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

I tried re-installing Skype and now it works just fine, thanks.

Oh, sorry, i forgot to mention i'm using a laptop and the the total size of the hdd is 136 GB. I also have a netbook cooler (with two fans), should i check the temperatures anyway?

I used Disk Cleanup like the guide said.

These are the scan results of both ESET and Junkware Removal Tool, i can't find the log file of AdwCleaner, should i do a scan again?

ESET:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnic.dll a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask application cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apntoolbarinstaller.exe a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask application cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\Offercast_AVIRAV7_.exe a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask.D application cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined

Junkware:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.0.8 (11.05.2013:1)
Ran by ******* on 01/12/2013 at 14:49:37,47
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Windows\syswow64\ai_recyclebin"

Edited by Rintone, 01 December 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Checking temps frequently is a good idea. If you need a recommendation of software for doing that....Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Best to check temps after comp has been in use at least an hour or more.

If the AdwCleaner scan completed, you should be able to find the log. If you are not sure it completed, follow these instructions to run again.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Perform another scan using MBAM. Allow it to remove/ quarantine whatever it finds.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free , install and update

• Double-click mbam icon
  • go to the update tab at the top
  • click on check for updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Rintone

Rintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Here are the results:

MBAM:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.12.01.07

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16428
Roberto :: ROBERTO-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

01/12/2013 22:16:10
mbam-log-2013-12-01 (22-16-10).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 204254
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

AdwCleaner:

# AdwCleaner v3.013 - Report created 01/12/2013 at 14:40:41
# Updated 24/11/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Roberto - ROBERTO-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Roberto\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Partner
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Roberto\AppData\Local\Temp\boost_interprocess

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\apnstub_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\apnstub_RASMANCS
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_hamachi_RASAPI32
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\SoftonicDownloader_for_hamachi_RASMANCS
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{67A2568C-7A0A-4EED-AECC-B5405DE63B64}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{67A2568C-7A0A-4EED-AECC-B5405DE63B64}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Softonic

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.16428

-\\ Google Chrome v31.0.1650.57

[ File : C:\Users\Roberto\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2004 octets] - [01/12/2013 14:37:27]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1802 octets] - [01/12/2013 14:40:41]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1862 octets] ##########

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Okay, Skype is working and adware has been removed, what if any symptoms of 'slow' still remain?

You mentioned video display problem....excessive heat can cause that. Have you checked temps?

Use Ccleaner to cleanup temp files, logs, Flash cookies and other program caches. Just use the default settings.

Don't use the Registry Cleaning tool as it may cause other problems. Be sure to pay attemtion while installing

and UNcheck any offers of Yahoo toolbar or other.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Edited by buddy215, 01 December 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#7 Rintone

Rintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

I'm not encountering anymore problems, as of now, video display seem to work just fine. The heat and CPU usage do seem to rise when i play videos or online music players, i guess that is normal?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yes, you should expect some warmer temps and more processor usage.

If you are satisfied...so am I....

#9 Rintone

Rintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Sure i'm satisfied, thanks a lot for your help!

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

You're welcome...merry surfing..:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users