Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro - No Disk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brandieparker

brandieparker

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hi. You guys were wonderful with my last problem, and I turn to you again...

I have win xp pro installed on my computer. I had win xp to start with and a friend installed the xp pro. I do not have the disk. my computer keeps trying to download the service pak 3 but b/c I do not have the disk it will not install the update. so now, all of a sudden, I cannot use my excel b/c no disk... ? I am not sure what to do. Almost just want to uninstall xp pro, but will I still have word and excel? what will i lose? I really can't afford to go buy xp pro right now, and anyway, am looking to get a lap top to use for business and give this computer to my hubby for fun use...

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

Neverheard of SP3... but Anyways, did your friend make a clean install when he put xp pro on your computer (Did he uninstall the old OS and put on xp pro?) When your computer is botting up and starts to show the drives and the memory, Tap F8 repeatedly (once every few seconds) until you have the option to select what OS you want to use, If your friend didn't have a clean install and kept the old OS on your comp, try going to that and see how that works.
-TJB

#3 brandieparker

brandieparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi. I tried what you suggested. It gave me options like, hard drive, removable device, atapi something or other and another option. I am assuming that I am screwed, correct? :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

You booted into the bios - what you want to do is look at the bottom of the screen when it first starts and look for instructions.

F8 is usually the key that will bring you to Windows options to go to safe mode, but it may be another key on your computer if F8 takes you to bios setup.

Do you have a disk that came with the computer when it was new?
If you do it may be the manufacturer's restore disk which will reset the computer to like when it was when it was new - the original licensed version of XP Home and whatever other programs came on the computer from the manufacturer when it was new. If you are going to use that disconnect anything external except the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

How did Word and Excel get installed on your computer? Did it come with the computer when it was new? If it did, it will be on the restore disk too. If it didn't, then it won't.
If you use the manufacturer's restore all data on the drive will be gone - so backup your data before you use it.

There is no SP3 for Windows XP either Home or Pro versions but there are several other critical updates you need by now. You don't need the XP disk to download them, but you will have to use the "Windows Genuine Advantage" validation and if your Win XP Pro install wasn't legitimate, it will fail validation.

If you set Windows Update to be completely automatic - both download and install - it will download and install critical updates without needing validation (only critical updates - nothing else).

I don't understand why you say you can't use Excel. Excel is part of MS Office, or a stand-alone ap and isn't part of XP Home or Pro anyway. What is stopping you from using it? What exactly is your computer doing during and after it boots up?

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 May 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#5 brandieparker

brandieparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:10 PM

well, i don't remember what was on here... i think the word and excel came on the xp pro? i don't know. when i open excel the computer tries to install something to do with xp pro with frontpage and then asks me to put the disk in. I guess i will just have to buy a new os or what ever... this is frustrating. i don't know enough about computers to understand what everyone says on here... :thumbsup:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

It sounds like you may have tried to use a part of Office or the op system that installs optionally which asks for the disk to complete the installation, but you should be able to cancel out of that.

Excel and Word do not come with XP Pro. They come as either standalone aps or as a component of Microsoft Office.

Unless you have a legitimate install of XP Pro along with the 25 digit license key number you should buy a legitimate copy anyway. You can buy an OEM version for somewhere around $140 if you search the internet. Make sure you buy from a legitimate source though.
If you find an offer much cheaper it is probably not legitimate software. Legitimate Microsoft Windows Disks have a full hologram label and come with a Certificate of Authenticity and a 25 digit license key number which enables them to be validated and authenticated.

Two such sources are tigerdirect.com and newegg.com and there are many, many others as well.

That still doesn't solve your need for Excel which must be purchased as above either as stand alone aps or as a package with MS Office. (There are a few different versions of Office available)

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 May 2006 - 11:30 PM.

#7 brandieparker

brandieparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

shoot, i think that i had excel to begin with. ok, i will check the sources you supplied. thank you very much.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

You may have had Excel as an option ordered with the computer when it was new, which in that case a manufacturer's restore disk made specifically for your computer which should be available from the manufacturer if you do not have it will have Excel on it along with any other aps that came on the computer.

Do you have any of the documentation that came with the computer?

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 May 2006 - 11:34 PM.

#9 brandieparker

brandieparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

I will have to look. I did save it, but have moved several times... i will look to see... hopefully i do. thanks again for your help.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:42 PM

You should be able to cancel out of the attempts your system is making to install the Frontpage component.

Let it run all the way through by trying to substitute the c drive or somewhere else instead of where it asks for a disk. It will come back telling you that the information was not found where you directed it and you should be able to cancel it at that point by clicking "OK" so it doesn't keep trying.

Go to Windows Update and set it to download and install critical updates automatically at a time you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet. Critical Updates are CRITICAL for patching exploits used by miscreants who maliciously write code to vandalize your computer or steal information from it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 May 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#11 brandieparker

brandieparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:01 AM

oh, I tried that. I went to microsoft website and viewed this page...Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

and I followed the instructions on how to install without the disk and that didn't work either. I will keep trying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users