Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java problem

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi all,

I need a bit of help with Java.

Yesterday, my subscription to Kaspersky expired so I renewed it. Upon doing so I was informed that I needed to upgrade to the latest version of Kaspersky for my new license key to function. I did that and all was fine. However, while doing my test scan with Kaspersky to ensure everything was clean, Kaspersky notified me that it was making changes to Internet Explorer to provide additional security. After everything was finished (no problems detected), thats when I noticed that Java wasnt working in Internet Explorer. It works just fine in Chrome so Im stumped.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling no problems but still no Java in IE.
Java Console says Java is enabled in Browser.
When I manually try to update, Java says I have the latest version installed.
Under IE toolbars and extensions I get this:

Name Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper
Publisher Oracle America, Inc.
Status Enabled
File date Yesterday, November 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
Version 7.0.450.18
Load time 0.04 s

Name Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
Publisher Oracle America, Inc.
Status Enabled
File date Yesterday, November 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
Version 7.0.450.18
Load time 0.19 s

Whatever Kaspersky changed I simply cant find. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

The question is do you need Java. There was a time that it was a must. Some games still need it but you don't need it for surfing the net. I don't have it on my PC.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

This may be your solution. Seems that problem only occurs on certain computers.

Java applets stop working after Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows installation

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

And security settings in IE aren't turned off for Java?

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks everyone, I tried all the steps above but still no Java in IE. Chrome works fine. Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks again, George

#6 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

AFAIK, all the pundits are saying that, if you don't absolutely need Java for some necessary function, don't even install it. If you do have it installed, uninstall it. JavaScript, by the way, is an entirely different animal, and is usually necessary. Sun/Oracle JAVA is the bad one. If, for some reason, you can't uninstall it, they recommend you at least disable it in all browsers. That's probably what Kaspersky was doing to IE. Musta missed Chrome. The problem as I understand it, is a serious security hole that allows direct execution of external code.

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Davnel, I have Java on my XP SP3.  Should I anticipate any problems in uninstalling it?  The icon is on my control panel.  Guess I open up and go from there?  And thanks in advance, of course. 

Edited by MissLizz, 01 December 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#8 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

@davnel

Unfortunately, there are still sites out there in cyperland that use Java and you need to have it installed...one is eBay, and that one I know from experience, you can not leave feedback without Java. And I believe Bleeping Computers uses it because when I did not have Java, it let me know. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to have it, but in my case, I still need to have it installed.

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Opening Java in the control panel shows a check in the Security square showing Java is enabled in the browsers.  Can I just uncheck that? Not really sure I know how to uninstall.  I can't say that Java has given me trouble; I do know some sites I've visited have said I needed Java to view the contents.  I guess, if it ain't broken I don't need to fix it.  I'll leave well enough alone.  Thanks you.

Edited by MissLizz, 01 December 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

@davnel

Unfortunately, there are still sites out there in cyperland that use Java and you need to have it installed...one is eBay, and that one I know from experience, you can not leave feedback without Java. And I believe Bleeping Computers uses it because when I did not have Java, it let me know. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to have it, but in my case, I still need to have it installed.

This is nonsense. Neither eBay or Bleeping Computer require Java. As davnel suggested, you are probably getting a Javascript error in IE. Javascript is frequently confused with Java but they aren't the same. It's an IE problem. You won't get a Javascript error in either Chrome or Firefox. Why remain loyal to IE if it doesn't work properly? 

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

@frankp316

I am sorry to inform you but I only use Firefox,  I do not use IE. And yes, I need Java on eBay in order to leave feedback. So why am I getting this error in Firefox?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

battyhippie...could you be thinking of these settings in Firefox for java script? What exactly is the error you see? 

Screenshot-1-1.png?t=1385945240

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

@buddy215

Excuse my total battyness, but what was that you just showed me? But, perhaps I should explain better...I was on eBay, trying to leave feedback and eBay would not allow me to leave feedback because I did not have Java. Sorry, could not leave feedback, and eBay stated that the reason why was because I needed Java. Once I re-installed Java, I was able to leave feedback. I just had to clarify the fact that I do not use IE and that the browser I use is Firefox...but the message comes from eBay...did I make myself sort of clear?

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

battyhippie...I thought it was self explanatory......settings in Firefox for java script......NOT JAVA..

Not to beat a dead horse...would you care to do a little test? If so, under Tools click on Add-ons, click on plugins, you will see a listing

of plugins for Firefox. If you see the plugin listing for Java and it has a disable button, click on it to disable the Java plugin and reboot Firefox.

Now go to EBay and attempt to leave a comment. Let us know what happened.

You can reenable Java by following the same instructions except you choose enable.

#15 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Sorry buddy215, in my add-ons, there is no plugin listing for Java...next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users