Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Users - Quick Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

If anyone has read my other topic on trying to get my evil computer to stop freezing up a few minutes into starting up then they will know that I'm trying to free up some space.

I was thinking about getting rid of the other users on the computer, but I dont want to get rid of any pictures or important files on there. I just wanted to make sure, when removing a user, don't their documents get coppied onto the desktop that is currently being used, or am I mistaken?

Thanks

-Insan3
-TJB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

If you delete a user you also make it difficult to access that user's documents.

You can take ownership of a user's documents if you are an administrator, but the amount of space taken by just the user's existance in XP makes it hardly worth deleting just to regain space if the documents are not being deleted as well.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

When deleting other user accounts there is an option to save that account's data files. However, It would probably be better to log into each account and back up the wanted files to CDs or DVDs and then just wipe the entire account. All the accounts data files will be under C:\Documents and Settings\<account_name>\My Documents. You must have Administrator privileges to access these folders and Explorer must be set to show hidden and system files.

#4 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Alright thanks. I will probably end up deleting most of the other users files, but I just wanted them all to be accessable so I could delete them while on the current user. I don't want to risk skipping something and having something important deleted.
-TJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users