Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping SVCHOST.EXE disables sounds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theF2RC

theF2RC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

I've noticed my laptop runs rather sluggishly for the first 20 minutes when booted up.  When I examine the taskmanager I find several SVCHOST.EXE in the processes running (which I have read can be bad or normal, very generic) and one of them is always using 150,000-200,000 k of my resources (causing the slowdown i must assume).  When I terminate the process my speeds go back to normal, but for a second the task bar reverts from the normal XP blue to the classic WIn98 look, then comes back to normal.  And also the sounds stop working.  If you try to play a file in mediaplayer for example you get an error message "there is a problem with your installed sound device".  sounds work fine if you don't terminate the SVCHOST process so it seems very clearly linked to that.

I've tried MAlware Bytes, HitmanPro, and AVG to try and find what could be causing this but they never find anything.  How can I determine what is causing this SVCHOST to hog my resources?  This is a Dell Laptop latitude d610 running XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

It is normal to see several instances of svchost.exe running and each instance will control one or more services, which is why you get errors when you terminate the process.  The memory resources used by the process is not as important as the CPU usage in terms of slowing computer response. 

If you download and run Sysinternals Process Explorer - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653 - it will give you more information on each process, and particularly in your case each instance of svchost.exe.  If you hover your mouse pointer over each process it will identify which services are connected to it.

You should avoid terminating processes unless you are sure you understand the effects this will have on your system.  Wrongly terminating a process will frequently require a system restart to return the computer to normal operation.

Please post a reply if you would like more help or information on a particular service.

#3 theF2RC

theF2RC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

The CPU hog in question is 1348 Generic host process for Windows...when  Ihover over it there's a long list of services.  they all look legit to me but I'm hardly an expert.  I took a picture but don't see a way here to post it....  I also a sub process Wuauccult (which i know is related to windows update) under the tree of 13 48...

So maybe not a virus....

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Windows automatic update has been a frequent cause of high CPU use on XP systems for several years.  Try running this Microsoft FixIt - http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9767096 - to see if that helps.

#5 theF2RC

theF2RC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Will do.  thanks!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users