Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer extremely slow and msconfig, malwarebyte, etc freezes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 soozabelle

soozabelle

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

My computer is starting up very slowly and basically hangs. When i click something it takes about two minutes to respond. I had some fishy items showing up on startup but i stopped them and it was working ok for a few hours. Now it slowed down again and msconfig is freezing. Tried running spybot in safe mode and it froze too. I'm having to type this from our tablet it's so bad. So I'm trying to figure out if we're hit with a virus or if there is a problem with one of the drives. Any ideas? Thank you so much for any help. 

A little more detail: I run windows 7 and have webroot for my antivirus. I tried shutting down all the starting programs in safe mode and restarting but it didn't help. I'm running a disk scan to see if it helps. I also tried running "security scan" but the program froze. When i start the computer, it runs ok for about one or two minutes then any open windows stop responding. 

I think i might have it figured out but i can't figure out how to delete this thread. Thank you!

Mod Edit:  Merged 3 posts, merged topic posted in Win 7 - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2013 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I have a laptop with Windows 7 untimate. My computer was slowing and/or freezing really bad-- wasn't sure if it was some kind of malware or a problem with the computer itself. I did some work on it, and while it has stopped freezing, I am getting error messages in system restore and uninstaller so it looks like Windows has been affected. Here are the details.

-Computer would freeze after being on for a minute or two. Any open windows would work fine and then suddenly stop responding and I'd be forced to restart. (Even CNTRL ALT DELETE took several minutes to load).

-Ran troubleshooter through Windows and it said there were problems with the program in startup. I unchecked one that said (default) and one that said hpwuSchd application, both of which CNET said could be from trojans. Computer worked ok. No problems found by Webroot. However Malwarebytes would freeze while running.

-Computer worked fine for a few hours, but started to freeze again after sitting overnight. MSconfig kept freezing, Malwarebytes, SpyBot all would freeze a few minutes into running. Tried to download and run "Security Check." which also froze.

-Ran dskchk/r which said it fixed one file. Ran rkill and then was able to run Spybot and Malware but they didn't find any programs. Ran CCleaner to delete temporary files, etc.

-Computer appeared to be working ok, so i tried to create a restore point in case I run into more problems and got this message. "There was an unexpected error in the property page. The volume shadow copy service used by system restrore is not working. For more information view the event log. (0x81000202)"

-Tried to uninstall some unused programs and got this error message. "Windows installer service could not accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Did I somehow mess up Windows when I ran the other programs? Could there still be some malware on there? Did I do more harm than good?

Also, I am unsure whether this should be a virus issue or a windows issue, so feel free to move this topic as needed. I originally had a topic open in "Am I infected?" but said to close it once I thought I figured out the issue. (Looks like I didnt... (sheepish). ) Thank you so much for any assistance!

Mod Edit:  Merged with original topic in AII - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#3 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well this has gotten embarassing. :blush:  While I've gotten the computer working, it appears that Windows might be affected. To be honest i'm not sure if all the malware is gone either. I posted the problem in Windows 7, but it might be moved here since it could potentially be malware. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515910/error-messages-for-system-restore-and-uninstaller/

So sorry to make all these posts! :bowdown: Thank you for any help-- I think I'm over my head in this.

#4 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

Well this computer finally gave out. The charger wouldn't plug in anymore, so we just got a new one. Problem solved. This thread can be closed.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the update
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users