Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Card Wireless Capability OFF

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sillymojo

sillymojo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

Greetings fellow BleepingComputer forumers!

I have just created an account to try to get some more insight on the problem I am having.

See, when I was taking my laptop apart to clean it, I made a booboo. Heres my computer info:

HP Pavillion DV7 Notebook PC - model #2100eg

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU   T6500 @ 2.10GHz

4096MB RAM

Network Card: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter

So on these models theres this touch panel above the keyboard that allows for turning the volume up and down mute etc. it also has the WIRELESS CAPABILITY on this panel as it happens while i was cleaning it i seem to have damaged the little cable that connects to this panel, and now my wireless capability is off. Searched just about the entire web for any solutions but most peoples problems are due to esd or some other problem. Im just wondering if there is any possible way to override this wireless capability through cmd or any other means. I also tried Windows Mobility Center, and on it theres a button for turning on wireless but its unclickable/grayed out...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

If you cannot manage to repair / replace this cable you think you have damaged, you could use a USB wi-fi dongle. If you have never seen one, they look like a USB memory stick and plug into any available USB socket. They are also fairly cheap - you can get one for about £UK 20. I had to get one for one of our laptops when half the built-in wi-fi card died, it would transmit but not receive, and I use one on my desktop computer which never had a wireless card.

Ones I have bought came with a CD with the drivers, but the drivers are easily obtained from the manufacturers' web-sites.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 sillymojo

sillymojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I did buy one of those but since im on a laptop, its pretty annoying to have one of those sticking out of the side.

So theres really no other way to manually override that wireless capability? :(

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

You could try going into 'Control panel / Network and sharing' and see if you can get it to connect through that. Your OP suggests that it is a physical hardware problem, which usually require physical hardware solutions.

If you are really unwilling to use a dongle - and I will admit they can be inconvenient on a laptop - then your best bet is to look again at this cable. It may be merely improperly connected, or not connected at all. A close examination, perhaps with a magnifying glass, may show a bent pin or a broken wire in the cable. Bent pins can often - gently ! - be straightened and you may be able to source a replacement cable from either HP or on eBay.

An alternative approach would be to find out exactly how this wireless switch works and what it connects on the mobo, then - if you feel brave or skillful enough - get the soldering iron out. I think a dongle would be simpler !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 sillymojo

sillymojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

Thanks again for your reply, this cable got cracked at the middle, so it cant really be a misseating or something like that. Looked around and a new connector cable isnt exactly cheap... Cheaper to just get a dongle wich I did! Unfortunentaly this dongle doesnt get really good reception like the built in adapter did. Im interested in this soldering iron solution you thought up! I like experimenting!  :smash:

The wireless switch is actually on a LED touch panel right above the keyboard, and I know where this panel connects to on the motherboard. I just dont know how I could connect this LED to the mobo to get it working without that darned connector cabel. The actual wireless adapter is easily accessible and has two wires connected to it that lead into the laptops display. Here are some pics of my mobo and the wifi adapter and the led touchpad panel.

https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/0df29f23f23eed8689f64d0f75c9df85da2199b2/687474703a2f2f6934312e74696e797069632e636f6d2f786f683861622e6a7067/

xoh8ab.jpg

https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/18dfeb8bc169dc10617979a2574c03364ea0b661/687474703a2f2f6934312e74696e797069632e636f6d2f34763064336f2e6a7067/

4v0d3o.jpg

https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/c65579ce5d4be4084f485992c325efc03eea9407/687474703a2f2f6934322e74696e797069632e636f6d2f72776d6c76702e6a7067/

rwmlvp.jpg

Edited by sillymojo, 02 December 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#6 sillymojo

sillymojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

WOOHOO Problem solved!!!!!

Went to the hp support forum and did some surfing around. Turns out theres this handy program they made specifically for cases where the physical button doesnt work. HP Connection Manager. It turns the wireless capability ON on startup of the progam even if the physical button had it turned off. :smash: :thumbup2:

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I am seriously glad you found a solution for that problem - or else it was going to get seriously technical !

The LED itself is not important - it merely tells you that the wireless unit is active or not. The real question was going to be what sort of switch was it, did it generate a pulse or was it a continuous voltage, etc., etc..

Those two wires going off the wi-fi board and heading for the screen are probably the aerial leads.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users