Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!- Can't get past welcome screen...

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 themaninthejar

themaninthejar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi- I hope someone can help,  I can't start up in normal mode, its been a decaying problem for a few weeks where it took longer & longer to get from the welcome screen to my desktop- Now, it boots ok but from the welcome screen I get the black screen with the curser- no activity at all.

I have run RKILL; MWB;MBAR;Spybot S&D;TDSSKILLER; Nothing was detected I then ran "All in one Repair"-

Previousl to today, when I was able to go in normally, the computer works perfectly(normally was about 40 seconds from welcome to desktop)

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

When you boot there will be a screen with keys to push for  different functions. Look for the one for Recovery Council. You may have to shut it off again and repower then click that key repeatedly. The recovery counsel should come up. There follow the steps to do a system restore to an earlier piont. It will take a few minutes but may get you running again. If not please post back.

#3 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

When you boot there will be a screen with keys to push for  different functions. Look for the one for Recovery Council. You may have to shut it off again and repower then click that key repeatedly. The recovery counsel should come up. There follow the steps to do a system restore to an earlier piont. It will take a few minutes but may get you running again. If not please post back.

Thanks for the response-I really appreciate it..

So I followed your advice, and got the blue screen telling me that windows detects a configuration problem-it would not allow me to system restore-so I re booted in safe mode with networking and opened up Tweeking .com's all in one windows repair and use that for a restore.  The system started up ok and "labored "so to speak from welcome screen to desktop so it still not quite right. I haven't tried a system restore from the start up screen again. any other suggestions?

#4 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the response-I really appreciate it..

So I followed your advice, and got the blue screen telling me that windows detects a configuration problem-it would not allow me to system restore-so I re booted in safe mode with networking and opened up Tweeking .com's all in one windows repair and use that for a restore.  The system started up ok and "labored "so to speak from welcome screen to desktop so it still not quite right. I haven't tried a system restore from the start up screen again. any other suggestions?

Latest update: Back to the same problem..: booted from "last good config" that took 3 tries to fully load- I'm stumped....:=(

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy this weekend. I'll come  up with a couple ideas after church. If you have access to another computer, try to download a boot disk for your OS (What OS are you using?) and burn it to a CD or DVD and try to run it.

#6 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy this weekend. I'll come  up with a couple ideas after church. If you have access to another computer, try to download a boot disk for your OS (What OS are you using?) and burn it to a CD or DVD and try to run it.

Thanks again... running Windows home premium 7 6.17601; SP-1 build 7601;  x64-  I'll try to make one...

~ well- that didn't work..so I'll send for a boot disc & try that and let u kno- again, thanks very much..

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2013 - 04:44 PM.
Corrected formating - Hamluis.

#7 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks again... running Windows home premium 7 6.17601; SP-1 build 7601;  x64-  I'll try to make one...

~ well- that didn't work..so I'll send for a boot disc & try that and let u kno- again, thanks very much..

I actually was able to get in a do a proper restore- while windows start is slightly longer than my normal, the transition from the welcome screen to my desktop is instantaneous- Happy Days ! :bananas: ( at least fer today!) Thanks a million for responding and the advice

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

GLLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE UP AND RUNNING.

#9 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

GLLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE UP AND RUNNING.

:smash:  well that didn't last long....after a disc & registry defrag; same problem- had to do a system restore and I'm on pins and needles waiting for everything to load- simply put- WTF??!!

#10 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

If it is running as it  sounds like it is, find and download the diagnostic tool form your Hard drive manufacturer and run it. I am wondering if you may have a failing Hdd. If the hdd is ok, do you have a Windows disk to do a clean install?

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 08 December 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#11 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

If it is running as it  sounds like it is, find and download the diagnostic tool form your Hard drive manufacturer and run it. I am wondering if you may have a failing Hdd. If the hdd is ok, do you have a Windows disk to do a clean install?

Hi again;thanks again... I'm running the built in utility & scheduled disk check-that will take a lifetime.. I don't have a disk unless I can use one for 7 Pro SP1 which I have from an IT guy (used for a restore). I have the Home version

#12 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Once we're up and running make sure you make rescue disks I made mine when I first bought the computer and Windows would nag you til you did. I don't remember now where to go to make one but I'll try to find out.

#13 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well the scan is finished and no defects were detected;  the drivers are the latest- interesting factoid as I tried to resolve this-I tried to download & install "Driver Wizard" & another utility and I got an error message stating that the fonts weren't compatible. So I tried to reset the fonts to the default settings and the system wouldn't let me. Also trying to figure out exactly what items I need to have on start up; and what processes..

#14 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Well the scan is finished and no defects were detected;  the drivers are the latest- interesting factoid as I tried to resolve this-I tried to download & install "Driver Wizard" & another utility and I got an error message stating that the fonts weren't compatible. So I tried to reset the fonts to the default settings and the system wouldn't let me. Also trying to figure out exactly what items I need to have on start up; and what processes..

Forgot to add that I'm having a problem opening Word documents that I saved I'm guessing since the restore; I save a test and can't directly open it

#15 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

I  would still recommend scanning it with the manufacturer's own program. Usually there are several options including fixing problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users