Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wins 8 DLL problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonni2341

jonni2341

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

Hi guys (and gals), This is my first post so, I hope it will be ok. I have an error come up on the start screen when I start my comp. Is is: ~RUN DLL. C:\John\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll. There was a problem starting your computer. The specified module could not be found.

Could some one help me with this please? Does this module belong in the registry, if so, how can I return it. Many thanks in anticipation of a favourable reply, jonni2341

p.s. This fault does not seem to slow down my comp, at least I don't think so....

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2013 - 08:47 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vikasjena

Vikasjena

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

RunDLL is a legitimate Windows file that executes/loads .dll (Dynamic Link Library) modules which too can be legitimate or sometimes malware related. A RunDLL "Error loading... message usually occurs when the .dll file that was set to run at startup in the registry or as a scheduled task has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file(s) but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry still remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads. 

To resolve this, download AutoRuns and save it to your Desktop.

• Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there.
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When finished scanning, it will say Ready at the at the bottom and list all entries under theEverything tab.
  • In the top menu, click File > Find... and type the file name (backgroundcontainer.dll) related to the error message, then click Find Next.
  • Alternatively, you can scroll through the list and look for any entry related to backgroundcontainer.dll and conduit.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Exit Autoruns and reboot your computer when done.

An alternate method to resolve this issue is as follows:
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools.
2. Open Task Scheduler and click on Task Scheduler Library.
3. Look through the list for an entry related to BackgroundContainer.
4. If found, right-click on it and select Delete.
5. Exit all programs and reboot the computer when done.

Afterwards, please download and scan with the following tools which will search for and remove many unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries.

AdwCleaner

Junkware Removal Tool
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

#3 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hello Vikasjena, Many thanks for your comprehensive solution to my problem. I will give your instructions a shot, and hope to fix it. Thanks once again..jonni2341

#4 junebuginsac

junebuginsac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hi everybody. I am having a problem which is very similar to " jonni2341". I'm running Windows 8 with IE 10 and also Chrome. When ever I turn my computer on and boot it up I get a message " Run DLL "    "There was a problem starting C:\program. The specific module could not be found." Is the fix for this the same as the fix for "jonni2341" or is there a different fix because the problem with mine is with the C:\program? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

junebuginsac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users