Hi all. New to this forum. Coming here so as to hopefully get some valuable advice on a really bizarre and hard to pin down issue with my PC. I'll put the issue in bullet points for ease of reading. I hope someone can respond, this is the most frustrating thing I've ever come across with any machine I've owned.
First, the specs :
Asrock z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 mobo
G-Skill Ripjaws ram at 1333mhz (8GB)
Windows 7 64 ultimate
Sapphire R9 280x (formerly using a Sapphire 6870)
Crucial m4 64 GB SSD boot drive
OCZ 128 GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HD
OCZ 650w ZT PSU
- Machine shuts off randomly. Could be in 5 minutes, could be in two hours, could be before Windows finishes loading. It can happen when the machine is idle or in an intensive task, doesn't matter.
- After a shut off, the machine might only restart after the CMOS is cleared. Sometimes it it can restart itself but there is no video output.
- Temperatures inside the machine are fine.
- Voltages also appear to be fine.
- Problem only seems to be triggered inside the normal Windows environment. I have let the machine sit in the BIOS for hours without issue and in Safe Mode without issue. A live Linux DVD also had no problems.
- A reinstall of Windows did not help
- A change of GPU did not help
- Removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics seems to greatly suppress the problem but does not eliminate it.
- Nothing in W7's system event log suggests why this is happening.
- Resetting the BIOS to stock settings does not seem to help.
- System had been running perfectly for 20 months or so before this
- Bad power is not an issue. System had the same problem in another person's house.
- After reinstalling Windows, the first shutoff I had was followed by an automatic restart, but this time I got video output!
The start of these problems goes back to an incident where I was playing a game and I heard the GPU fans spin up to near 100 percent and the screen went blank, forcing a hard shut down. It was after this that the trouble began but I don't know what's been damaged and all the clues are contradicting each other. Can anyone help? Please?