Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 autigerfan

autigerfan

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4w2zDLlVSmOZDY0tyPGQ4Mg  

Listed above are the stats of my pc. The CPU is running at or near 100% often. I am trying to find a newer CPU that would fit the mo/bo just to make the pc run a little smoother. When I say "newer" I don't mean 2013, more like 2005. 

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

You already have a 2500+ in it.  You might upgrade to a 3200+ Barton, but realistically, it won't make a noticeable difference(been there done that, I have a stack of those Socket A CPUs sitting around).  Any single core CPU 5 generations old will get slugged running modern apps.  You would be better off closing down background apps and streamlining your system vs throwing any parts/money at it. Just an opinion.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yes, I had been doing some research and there is really nothing I can do that would improve the pc. If I can just get my video problem fixed all would be right with the world (hence the reason for pondering a new CPU).

Thank you for your help.

#4 slow72

slow72

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Do you think it would help to update the video card?  Would your power supply support a different video card?

#5 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

There were 2 updates that I could find for the video card and installed them both. It is something small in all of these issues.  IE lags when scrolling-google chrome does not. When audio is playing it almost is like a slight "tic" in the sound every 2 or 3 seconds. It is not major but it is enough to disrupt the song. The same is as with video. I do not know if the power supply could support another video card.  Whatever it is, this slight little "tic", hiccup, name it what you will, but it is enough to throw everything off but at the same time not cause major problems.

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Realistically, short of replacing the machine, there isn't any hope. Even most current websites have demands that exceed your system capabilities. Back when a decent computer cost $2000 +, upgrades made sense. Not now. You would be better off shopping for a refurbished system, or even just a plain old used system. You have to be careful though, since some refurbs can get way too close to new computers in price.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

about a year ago this was running Win 7 ultimate with just 1GB. I am doing this for someone who does not have a pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users