Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious Link Clicked Firefox Fedora

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

I was in a video chat on a website. Somebody posted a link and I clicked on it. My browser closed down. When I Firefox backup I had to login to all of my accounts. But before I did this I figured I would play it safe and clear all my browsers data. I took a step further and fired up a terminal and issued the following commands.

sudo yum remove firefox -y

rmdir $HOME/.mozilla

sudo yum install firefox -y

After I did all of this I contact the person asking what he did. He said he hooked my browser. I've never heard of this. But I'm assuming he has something that wraps around my browser or hooks onto my system to gain info.

Is there anything I can do to make sure that I'm safe from what ever crap happened to me?

Edited by LinuxPhreak, 29 November 2013 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not an expert but I would suspect it was some sort of malicious javascript that closed down the browser and possibly made other changes to your profile.  The Firefox plugin NoScript can prevent unauthorised scripts from running, as it allows you to whitelist trusted sites and block others.  It can be a bit tedious to set up initially but it gives a good level of protection against malicious websites.  As always, being careful what you click is good practice too.

In Linux it requires elevated priviliges to make changes to anything like the program executables.  I don't really see how clicking a link could "hook" the browser unless you ran something and put in your password to give it root access. It should go without saying it's not sensible to grant access to anything you're not absolutely certain you trust.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'm not an expert but I would suspect it was some sort of malicious javascript that closed down the browser and possibly made other changes to your profile.  The Firefox plugin NoScript can prevent unauthorised scripts from running, as it allows you to whitelist trusted sites and block others.  It can be a bit tedious to set up initially but it gives a good level of protection against malicious websites.  As always, being careful what you click is good practice too.

In Linux it requires elevated priviliges to make changes to anything like the program executables.  I don't really see how clicking a link could "hook" the browser unless you ran something and put in your password to give it root access. It should go without saying it's not sensible to grant access to anything you're not absolutely certain you trust.

Agreed and I created a new profile. Scanned my entire PC with maldet which found something in my xxxxxxx.default but not the new profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users