Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram showing less than installed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dark.knight

dark.knight

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hey guys how are you all, ok i am new here and not an expert on hardware, well in fact not even software expert :/ i have a problem with my PC, ok here is what's up. 

my PC is a little bit older but only because i am the kind of person who thinks you should use something untill it works, my pc worked fine untill recently. i have a M2N DH motherboard, AMD Athlonn 64x2 3800+, 4 Gb Kingston RAM DDR2, ati radeon x 1900 xt, and since recently mz XP professional can't see more than 2 GB RAM, now having this little experiance than i have i took each modul out and tested it in every socket and they work just fine what i don't get is why does windows only see half of my RAM installed is it going o die or what ? i tried to look it up on google i typed ram showing less than installed and i got this article http://www.compuram.de/blog/en/when-the-operating-system-shows-less-usable-memory-capacity-than-the-installed-ram/

should i get a 64 bit operating system? will that solve my problem ? i am really sorry if you covered this earlier before i posted it i looked if there is a similar post and couldn't find anything, any help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

You haven't told us the most important thing...just where you are looking when you assert that Windows does not reflect "all" RAM.  What are you looking at?

You can attach a graphic showing us what you see, it would be more useful than the link you posted above.

Louis

#3 dark.knight

dark.knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

hi Louis, gladly. which would you prefer the task manager option or properties on my computer? em and one more question how do i make a graphic :/ i really suck with computer knowledge i know a thing or two but i never made a graphic, do you mean to take a picture with my digital camera and post it? 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

The simplest way to take a graphic of a computer screen is to press the 'PrtScn' button, this copies your current desktop - at the time you press the button - to the clipboard and you can then paste it into the graphics application of your choice. If you don't have any other graphics applications, you do have MS Paint which you will find by clicking 'Start / Programs / Accessories'. Start it running, then press 'Ctrl + V'. This will paste the image into MS Paint. Then use the 'Crop' tool to reduce the image to just the information box, save it as a .JPG type file and post it here.

There are limits on the size of image you can include in a post, and cropping the image reduces the size while retaining the information that has been asked for.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

When running XP ina 4GB system, the upper 500MB of ram is disabled and shadowed by system addresses, so Windows will only show 3.5GB rather than 4.0. If you are somehow showing only 2GB out of 4, it may be a limit set in msconfig. This article explains how to change it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66482-memory-set-maximum-amount-used-windows.html

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

hi Louis, gladly. which would you prefer the task manager option or properties on my computer? em and one more question how do i make a graphic :/ i really suck with computer knowledge i know a thing or two but i never made a graphic, do you mean to take a picture with my digital camera and post it? 

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

To see how much RAM is being recognized download CPU-Z.  Once it is installed and opened click on the STD tab.  An image similar to the one below will appear.

aasnip_zpsf0b05173.png

Underneath the line of tabs you will see Memory Slot Selection, for easy identification I've outlined it in red.  There will be a slot number showing, and just below that you will see Module Size.  That is the amount of RAM in that slot.  There will be a down arrow to the right of slot number box, click on this to change the slot so you can see what is in the next slot.  There will be a different slot number for each module installed.  Add up the amount in each slot for your total physical memory (RAM).

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users