Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Microsoft Office Files; Word Docs Appear as Symbols

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jenjobo7

jenjobo7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure when this started as I have not used Office in a few weeks.  My computer uses Windows 7.  Today, I went to open a document in Word and it said "File Conversion--Select the encoding that makes your document readable."  I can choose between Windows, MS-DOS, or other encoding.  I went to check another file and it says "The file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."  It also says "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened."  I get the same kinds of messages with every document and with my PowerPoint as well.  All of my Office is 2007.

I tried running my AVG Free and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and they did not pick up anything.  I also tried restoring to my last update, but was told that I cannot because the file was changed in the process.  I had to restore for another, unrelated issue about a week ago and it worked fine.

I'm thinking this is some kind of virus but I have no idea how to handle it since nothing is picking it up and I can't restore to even three days ago.  Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated, as I am a college student and need to be able to hand in final papers!

Thanks!

Edited by jenjobo7, 29 November 2013 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenjobo7

jenjobo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Update--I'm starting to think that one of my antiviruses cleaned out the virus because nothing is showing up, but my documents are still corrupted.  I deleted my normal.dotm file, and also scanned my C Drive for errors so I could revert to my backup from November 18, but everything is still corrupted.  I would like to know if 1) I got the virus, or if it is still lying dormant in my system somewhere; 2) if my computer is safe to use; and 3) if there is any way to get my documents back!

Thanks.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hello, I can't guarantee that we can recover your files, but if you'll stay in touch with us on this forum, we will do our best to help you. This may not be easy, and will take some time.

We need to get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users