Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

purchase template: I need a new desktop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have an old desktop computer I built with advice from you guys about 7 1/2 or 8 years ago.  It's XP,  I've been real comfortable with it, but it seems to get at least 1 error message every time I start it, and has started having memory dumps every month or so.   .Net 1.1 has somehow been partially overwritten and can't be updated, for over a year now.  About time I replace it.  Oh, I'm gonna be retiring in about 4 months, so I'm sort of on a budget.  Would like less than $400, but could go to $500.  

My old computer has 500 GB with about 350 used.  I would like about 7500 GB or 1 TB.  I have a lot of pictures that I mess with, have an old Adobe elements 5.0, picasa, paint plus some others.   Music, I enjoy editing and have a couple programs for that, media player, real player, nero, cakewalk, and 2 or three others..  I had an old logging business I operated on the side for extra money, I need to keep finances and info from, from which I used microsoft office (I think 2007, can't find it to verify).  I'm hoping to learn to do some mapping work, and have programs for that.  I also keep my service manuals and operator manuals for equipment I and friends have on it, copy it to a laptop to take outside and work on things.  PDF files.I do some on line surfing, esp forums like this.  Watch streaming videos, and listen to music.  I don't play games, well free cell, spider, and solitare sometimes.  I try to keep the programs running to 3 or 4, I'm old and have trouble remembering where I'm at in them.   My wife might to 10 or 12.  Over half the thing on the computer is pics, or music, might sometime do video in the future, but haven't yet.

I have Windows 7 on a laptop (for over 2 years) which I'm not real comfortable with yet, plus it gives me a stiff neck.  Not sure if I could operate 8, but need to try one or the other.  I've heard pro allows you to use some old programs from XP, so I'm thinking I would like that.  Never used AMD cpu's to my knowledge, the new celerons don't seem too bad, and I like pentium, but I don't know which is better for the money.  I've had and know of people who have had good luck with Dell's, gateways, and acers.  But bad luck with HP, Lenovo, IBM, and compac.  Any advice on a purchase, and what to have in it would be appreciated.  I'm not to computer savvy.  Thank you.

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users